mugho dead wood

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: mugho dead wood

Post by Pearcy001 »

Not sure if it's just meet, but the tree really looks to be falling backward with the current deadwood. Is it just the photo or am I imagining it? Can the tree be rotated toward the viewer at all to show some more of the live vein to the front?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Love all the great ideas so far. In fact, I don't believe there is such a thing as a bad idea. far better to look at all the possibilities than to discard some too quickly. The other thing to remember is that there are nearly always several great possibilities. Very rare to have only one viable option even though some demonstrators would have us believe that there is only one right answer. Occasionally a few of the many options are a little better than others but I often find that there are several equally good possible trees hidden in any stock. The different opinions offered so far reinforce this idea. Several great, but different, styles offered so far.

I've learned not to be in too great a hurry when styling or restyling bonsai so I still have not made any great moves to restyling this one yet.
Today I have added some more photos showing some of the options people have offered.

When I was reducing the dead wood I found the dead part did extend further up the trunk. I have not one as far as Ryceman's virt yet but his idea would certainly produce a dynamic tree.

Pearcy suggested rotating the tree a little to the right.
IMGP6484.JPG
IMGP6483.JPG
Those changes bring the current apex a little further forward but also brings the lower trunk curve toward the front. Maybe less obtrusive now than when it was entire?

I think someone suggester standing the tree a little more upright?
IMGP6486.JPG
Changing the angle usually requires rewiring to change the branch angles so try to imagine some change to the live parts here.

Another option to bring the apex forward would be to tilt the whole tree forward.
IMGP6487.JPG
That also brings the apex forward without having the lower curve become prominent.
How far forward is often dictated by the existing roots but just a slight tilt can make a lot of difference.

What about standing it up even more?
IMGP6488.JPG
Changing the angle like this might add even more to Ryceman's more dead wood suggestion?

The apex currently consists of 2 separate branches, one to the right and one further to the left. Tilting the trunk would bring the left one into the top position. The other one could be reduced to its more horizontal base and become another branch near the top. Or maybe I need to keep both to maintain a rounded 'pine tree' canopy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

My thoughts here Neil hope you don't mind....firstly the carving of the dead wood looks spot on my from angle, you nailed it, now looks balanced with great character there.

The slight rotation looks good bringing the head to us and showing off the now lovely dead wood...but I personally like to see some live vein so you be the judge as to how much rotation that's if you think like me of course.

Now for plane/tilt I like it on the angle you have it now, it flows well with present lean and your carving now and the trunk above the carving ... if sat up it will come back on its self and make the top left branch way too heavy looking and isolated even emphasizing that (unbalanced) 'C' looking...Thanks for letting us think out aloud Neil...balls back in your court now haha...cheers

Return to “Pines and Junipers”