another Disaster?

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

another Disaster?

Post by shibui »

A week or so ago I noticed the top of one shimpaku was looking a little pale. :o :o
IMGP6427.JPG
Following my normal protocol I decided to ignore it :whistle:
I have found that when problems are ignored hard enough and long enough they often resolve one way or another without intervention.

This particular juniper kept on getting more and more yellow until, finally, today I could ignore it no longer.
A closer inspection shows that the top part is dead, knackered, kaput. There is just no hope when a juniper turns this colour. The lighter part is definitely ex.
IMGP6428.JPG
Fortunately the lower part is still healthy. It is even growing quite strongly in places so something has happened part way up the tree. :lost:

Some investigation reveals that the live part of the trunk has been compromised so sap cannot pass. It looks like there may have been some past damage, probably from bending it, and a small section was dead but still covered in bark so not noticeable. Last time I made a progressive widening of the shari I've unknowingly removed the last live connection at that spot :palm:

I've noticed that in many situations :cry: does little to resolve the problems. Action was needed. Time to reassess. Time to look at what I have and what to do with it.
The dead trunk has plenty of bends and twists. Even though it is dead it may still be able to provide a feature so I've cleaned the dead bark. :)
IMGP6431.JPG
The tree has now been reduced in height so it actually fits into Shohin category :tu:
That's 2 positives coming from 1 disaster.

I've had a quick look at the remainder to see where to go next. I think the tree is way too wide for the new height. That's easily fixed.
There's now no real apex because the current top has been styled as a branch for some years. That will require some pruning and some bending to give a more defined apex.

I have a couple of possibilities brewing in mind but you are all welcome to throw in ideas if you like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Phil Rabl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Canberra, Ballarat, VNBC

Re: another Disaster?

Post by Phil Rabl »

I like the look of the tree with the entire top removed, just leaving the RHS branch. Too radical??
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

I can see some divisions in the foliage, don t know just something outside the box Neil.
phpdJ9vBUAM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Making the best of a bit of a bummer there Shibui. The movement in that deadwood now sets up a potentially sensational shohin tree.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

I like the look of the tree with the entire top removed, just leaving the RHS branch. Too radical??
Nothing is too radical if it works Phil. I looked at your idea. Just wondering how the c shaped curve of the trunk would look with all the weight over on the right side?
I can see some divisions in the foliage, don t know just something outside the box Neil.
There are definitely divisions in the foliage. Most of those current branches have several main sub branches which could be separated or removed to compact the live parts. I would need to be careful with the change of angle. A tilt like that might just bring the top a little too high as it is already bordering on the upper limit for shohin so if keeping it under is a priority we'd need to find a way to reduce height again.

Maybe some better photos would help any would be bonsai designers - before I get stuck in.
IMGP6432.JPG
IMGP6433.JPG
IMGP6434.JPG
IMGP6435.JPG
IMGP6436.JPG
IMGP6437.JPG
IMGP6438.JPG
note there ar several well defined sub branches here
IMGP6439.JPG
IMGP6440.JPG
IMGP6441.JPG
again, several well separated sub branches. The inner sub branch is actually highest and closest to the main trunk so possible new apex at the current angle..
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by matlea »

Movement of the trunk in the 6th and 7th pics looks good... if you can adjust the planting angle/ soil line; may have to do this over time?
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

Don t know mayby on a bigger scale, purely guessing ratios here?
phpQeK6oNAM.jpg
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Thanks for the virts Anthony. I also think the width needs to be reduced now to match the reduced height. Fortunately the branches have been developed slowly and carefully so most have plenty of sub branching that will make it relatively easy to reduce them.
I have not tilted quite as much as your first virt and also tilted forward a little.
IMGP6490.JPG
You may note that I've wired part of one branch and bent it down into a hanging branch. That may not be part of the final design. It was just that that longer part of the branch was there. The upper foliage needs to be reduced so there's a choice between dropping that part or cutting it right off. The former is irreversible while this allows me to check the results of one before deciding. With the entire left branch the droppped branch on the left makes foliage on both sides about level which does not look so good. Maybe it will be better when the right side foliage is reduced?

and masking out some of the existing foliage
IMGP6492.JPG
Nothing is too radical if it works Phil. I looked at your idea. Just wondering how the c shaped curve of the trunk would look with all the weight over on the right side?
The strong tilt to the right in Anthony's first virt would change the lower trunk shape and could make the right branch only option flow better.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonyW »

I do like your direction in the last image masking to show what your thinking, with some more height eating into the Jin and good to hear that you have sub - branches to spice it up or break away if needed..great options there....and hopefully your shohin size obtainable, I won't tell anyone if you fudge a bit over lol if you don't, good one Neil and would be great to hear Phil's thoughts on your ideas too

cheers Anthony
rodm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines junipers and others
Bonsai Age: 40

Post by rodm »

:imo: I think the deadwood is too vertical and too much. It appears to be a bit out of proportion to the foliage below. Maybe planting at an angle :lost:
Regards RodM

Return to “Pines and Junipers”