Dead or alive

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Dead or alive

Post by pureheart »

Hello folks!
I had this black pine for over than 1 year in development but I think it got overwatered by the dripping system... do you think that it is still alive or there’s no hope? I’ve stopped the watering from 2 weeks ago (apart rain water)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Theodore
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Larch
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: Albury Wodonga Bonsai Society

Re: Dead or alive

Post by Theodore »

Pureheart....it's not a happy chappy....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

You will be very lucky if that one pulls through. Many evergreens stay looking good for a long time after the damage is done. By the time changes are noticeable the tree is well past saving.
Over watering usually means rotted roots. you can sometimes fix if you catch it early enough but the state of this shows it has few if any viable roots left.
I am surprised that dripper system would over water a box this size. Lots of dripper outlets on the container or just on several times each day?

I had one recent win with a JBP seedling that had been very dry and needles were almost all yellow. After an emergency soaking and relocation to a better watered area it has recovered and made new buds.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

It takes Pines awhile before they show stress. Once they do it is generally too late. I don’t think this will recover :shake:
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pureheart »

shibui wrote:You will be very lucky if that one pulls through. Many evergreens stay looking good for a long time after the damage is done. By the time changes are noticeable the tree is well past saving.
Over watering usually means rotted roots. you can sometimes fix if you catch it early enough but the state of this shows it has few if any viable roots left.
I am surprised that dripper system would over water a box this size. Lots of dripper outlets on the container or just on several times each day?

I had one recent win with a JBP seedling that had been very dry and needles were almost all yellow. After an emergency soaking and relocation to a better watered area it has recovered and made new buds.
:(
Actually it didn’t have a dripper directly in the soil but it was sitting on the floor under the bench that had 3 bonsai with dripper and a mister… so was getting the water from above… I can only assume it was too much and differently from the other black pines in development this one was in normal soil not pumix …

pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pureheart »

Very sad but live and learn…

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Garden soil will make a big difference but don't just assume anything. Lots of dry needles looks more like dry than wet to me although I don't have much experience with over wet - mostly the opposite.
Was the soil actually wet when you noticed it? With pines and junipers it can be quite some time between the problem and seeing the results so conditions may have changed giving a misleading view.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pureheart »

shibui wrote:Garden soil will make a big difference but don't just assume anything. Lots of dry needles looks more like dry than wet to me although I don't have much experience with over wet - mostly the opposite.
Was the soil actually wet when you noticed it? With pines and junipers it can be quite some time between the problem and seeing the results so conditions may have changed giving a misleading view.
I guess I’ll never know... when I noticed it the soil was wet so I assumed it was too much water... how else would I know? When I remove it and analyse the root system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Pines and Junipers”