Cedar

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Cedar

Post by treeman »

After quite a few years wrestling with this tree I'm finally starting to get that authentic cedar look. I've got their measure now - I think :fc:
A few more years.........
P1130709 - Copy.JPG
cedarsea.JPG

For anyone thinking about cedars, remember that they can even have multiple vertical trunks and even the main branches can be vertical so long as you get the branching from them and apex right. You can also play around with more than one apex as in the last pic.

It's true that humans can't make real branches. Only trees can. But hopefully we can get close....
I hope at least that now we will stop trying to force the majestic cedar to be a Japanese pine tree.
cedarab.JPG
cedrus bev2.GIF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Re: Cedar

Post by Matt S »

I was standing under one of these last weekend in the Adelaide Botanic Gardens. I spent ages lying under it looking up at the sweeping branches. I reckon you’ve captured it well too.

Matt.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Mike - can't help myself but to crash into your thread with a more clumsy tree. I have posted this tree before ... and had to go and take a photo just then in the dark under lights. Note to self... keep the horizontal planes and flat top ... I am in danger of rounding it out too much. (To be sure - not a tree that I grew and cannot take credit for it - rather it is one that is now in my collection and care; I'll try not to f it up.)
IMG_4505.jpeg
IMG_4506.jpeg
IMG_4507.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

MJL wrote: May 5th, 2020, 6:12 pm Mike - can't help myself but to crash into your thread with a more clumsy tree. I have posted this tree before ... and had to go and take a photo just then in the dark under lights. Note to self... keep the horizontal planes and flat top ... I am in danger of rounding it out too much. (To be sure - not a tree that I grew and cannot take credit for it - rather it is one that is now in my collection and care; I'll try not to f it up.)
IMG_4505.jpegIMG_4506.jpegIMG_4507.jpeg
double post....
Last edited by treeman on May 5th, 2020, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

MJL wrote: May 5th, 2020, 6:12 pm Mike - can't help myself but to crash into your thread with a more clumsy tree. I have posted this tree before ... and had to go and take a photo just then in the dark under lights. Note to self... keep the horizontal planes and flat top ... I am in danger of rounding it out too much. (To be sure - not a tree that I grew and cannot take credit for it - rather it is one that is now in my collection and care; I'll try not to f it up.)
IMG_4505.jpegIMG_4506.jpegIMG_4507.jpeg
It's already starting to spread at the top. Just let it do it's thing and don't let it go up anymore.
Mike
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle/juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by PWC »

treeman wrote: May 5th, 2020, 5:17 pm After quite a few years wrestling with this tree I'm finally starting to get that authentic cedar look. I've got their measure now - I think :fc:
A few more years.........

P1130709 - Copy.JPG

cedarsea.JPG

For anyone thinking about cedars, remember that they can even have multiple vertical trunks and even the main branches can be vertical so long as you get the branching from them and apex right. You can also play around with more than one apex as in the last pic.

It's true that humans can't make real branches. Only trees can. But hopefully we can get close....
I hope at least that now we will stop trying to force the majestic cedar to be a Japanese pine tree.

cedarab.JPG

cedrus bev2.GIF
The apex certainly looks the goods, well done. it can only improve from here,look forward to seeing this one develop.
Peter.
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

Do you find growth is more vigorous when styling more “naturally” as opposed to “artificially”?

Natural - tree is encouraged to grow in its natural form.

Artificial - tree is contorted into something nature didn’t intend.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Nice job. It does look authentic. Appreciate seeing the tight foliage work...naturally :yes:
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Daluke wrote: May 5th, 2020, 7:18 pm Do you find growth is more vigorous when styling more “naturally” as opposed to “artificially”?

Natural - tree is encouraged to grow in its natural form.

Artificial - tree is contorted into something nature didn’t intend.
That's an interesting question. I think the answer is probably no unless by styling ''artificially'' you mean it is fully wired more often than just letting it grow and cutting back here and there and not using wire on every single branch every year. But I don't think there's too much difference in the trees vigour. Once the branch is ''set'' in place, the vigour soon returns if you let it grow again. If you constantly pinch it will weaken the tree but that might be desirable. I think I read somewhere that in Japan they give some trees a year off every few years, especially junipers. I did that with one of mine last year - just fed and watered and didn't touch anything - and it reacted very well.
Mike
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Matt S wrote: May 5th, 2020, 5:31 pm I was standing under one of these last weekend in the Adelaide Botanic Gardens. I spent ages lying under it looking up at the sweeping branches. I reckon you’ve captured it well too.
20190627_122427.jpg
This one? It was hard to get all of it in shot.
20190627_122500.jpg
I really liked the layered foliage pads on the low branches
SquatJar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society, VNBC

Post by SquatJar »

I've sat under that Deodar a few times as well. Photos don't seem to capture its magical spread, once you step underneath its like you're in another place
Life's too short for boring pots
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

I have an old book on trees where the author was lamenting the fact that many Europeans - who regard cedars with awe - were planting them in their little front gardens. He writes... ''Massive spread is their very essence''
Mike
Jake fowler
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Olive, Pine
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Jake fowler »

How tall is this roughly Mike? It looks great, very natural!
Jake
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Jake fowler wrote: May 6th, 2020, 7:16 pm How tall is this roughly Mike? It looks great, very natural!
probably 60cm or so?
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

This is possibly the only Japanese trained true cedar in existence. Certainly the only one I've ever seen.
From an old album (70's?) I.5 metres high. Probably from the Imperial house collection.
Very cedar like I think you'll agree.

P1130718 - Copy.JPG
P1130718 - Copy.JPG
Mike

Return to “Pines and Junipers”