mugo pine

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
its_kano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1

mugo pine

Post by its_kano »

Hi everyone, hope all is well. I have been gifted a mugo pine for my 40th birthday present and after doing a fair bit of reading i am left feeling rather over whelmed and dubious regarding straight forward directions. I am now not too confident i am in the best climate for this tree and just would hate for it to suffer/die. It was sold as a pre bonsai so i have gone ahead and wired it but will not re-pot or pluck/prune until i get solid advice. Can anybody on here share or advise a good maintenance regime. i will post a couple of pics shortly. Cheers.
its_kano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: mugo pine

Post by its_kano »

Hopefully they upload correctly. Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Nice tree.
It is hard to judge whether your area will suit mugho when you don't have a location in your profile.
Mugho does, however, grow well outside the zones that some people attribute it to.

They are single flush pines so will not produce new buds in the same season you prune but it will back bud quite well if pruned provided you leave some healthy needles.
I believe they also respond to allowing shoots to grow freely before any pruning so if you do want back buds allow the branch to grow for a year before pruning.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
its_kano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by its_kano »

Oops my bad, Sydney. I will update my profile. Yes I read they are a single flush unlike JBP & red pine. Apart from the single flush, do they correlate to the JBP as far as ferts ammount of light & pruning maintenance? If anyone has a good guide article I'd love to read it. Cheers Shibui for your response.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

There are a few threads on Bonsai Nut about mugho pines. Some of it questionable but the stuff on pruning and timing should be good if you can sift it out of all the other stuff.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/all-a ... ain.19019/

One of the members condensed all the advice from another accepted mugho expert into a single article that might provide some tips without all the reading and sifting.
https://www.bonsainut.com/resources/com ... -pines.23/
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
its_kano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by its_kano »

legend! thanks a heap mate :) though So sorry to bother you mate, just wondering how i would translate that article from their climate to ours? Unless that is the guide for Aussie growers i thought it would be rather different here? Sorry again for being a pest just don't want to ruin this tree hope you understand!

Return to “Pines and Junipers”