New to the bonsai world

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Re: New to the bonsai world

Post by TimS »

The length of time deters a lot of people from starting from seed or cutting, but really you get to form excellent root structure from the very start, and potentially have far fewer 'flaws' such as big scars on the trunk where a big, tall trunk was cut down to be a small tree.

Each year i start a few hundred seeds and cuttings, keep 10-20 of each variety that look promising for leaf size, colour, or other trait, sell off or give away the others and continue the best ones. Along the way i'll keep whittling down and selling off to one or two particularly good trees out of the original hundreds. Eventually i'll hopefully have some nice trees like Shibui has posted.

I also have some stumps that have been cut down drastically, and now i'm having to cut them back even harder and carve deadwood into them to make them a bit more acceptable. I only do this with Ginkgo as they are incredibly slow to grow thickness in the trunk, but even Ginkgo i start from seed and cutting to have some nice un-scarred ones in the future.

Don't let the length of time deter you. If you are going to keep bonsai, 15 years doesn't matter too much, those years will pass anyway, and i guarantee you'll be more attached to something you grew from a seed than a piece of material you purchased already as a more mature plant.

I'm not saying don't buy more advanced bits of material, it's got benefits of its own and i certainly do it, but i'm saying growing from seedlings is hugely rewarding and well worth persevering with. :tu:
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
KimL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by KimL »

I'm definitely keen to continue with my seeds! I feel the same about it been more satisfying to bring one up from the start.

But buying pre bonsai will help me master the craft in the meantime and the satisfaction of seeing one fully formed quicker :D
juan73870
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: whatever is in front of me...
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by juan73870 »

Don't worry, within 12 months you'll have more potted plants in your yard than you know what to do with. Young ones, old ones, nice ones and dead ones. All over the place. That's my prediction. :D
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ;) :whistle:

Return to “Pines and Junipers”