Necessary help for Juniperus Squamata Prostrata

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
VesnaK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Necessary help for Juniperus Squamata Prostrata

Post by VesnaK »

Hi quys :wave:
I got my first bonsai yesterday .It was a beautiful and unexpected gift from my friends. But ,I have no experience with bonsai and I would be very grateful if you can help me with you advices on how to take proper care of this beautiful tree. I want to say that I do not have any history of the life of this plant because it was bought from Bunnings. Also ,I am not sure is it in good condition or not.The top of the plant is nice and green but underneath are lot of brown foliage.I am a little worried.
Thank you to all in advance :)
P.S
I do not know how to add the photos, pls could you help me .Thanks a lot.
one_bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Necessary help for Juniperus Squamata Prostrata

Post by one_bonsai »

A picture would help
VesnaK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by VesnaK »

I know but I can not do that for some reason.I tried.Could you help me pls.
Thank you in advance.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi Vesna, and welcome to Ausbonsai. :gday:
To add pictures scroll down to below where you write the message and click on Attachments and then on Add Files. It opens the window with your files and you then click on the files you want to attach and then click enter. Then, still down the bottom click on Place in line and the photo will be put where you left the cursor. It's best to keep the file size below 500 kb, bigger than that and they may not load. I've attached a pic of one of my Juniper squamata Prostrata.
Cheers, Frank
2020.05.29 02e.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
one_bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper

Post by one_bonsai »

Raging Bull wrote: August 9th, 2020, 5:21 pm It's best to keep the file size below 500 kb, bigger than that and they may not load.
Yes it's 1992, so the system can't handle a file size larger than 500kb.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

one_bonsai wrote: August 9th, 2020, 5:24 pm Yes it's 1992, so the system can't handle a file size larger than 500kb.
1998, it's 1MB now!
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Congratulations on becoming a bonsai grower. Also well done on asking for advice at the start. That should save some heartache.
First advice for juniper bonsai is that they need to live outside. Junipers rarely live very long indoors.
Water when it starts to get dry. Too wet all the time is not good. Too dry is not good. Feel the soil to gauge when it is starting to get dry. If it has stones glued on to of the soil pull those off so you can see and feel the soil and water properly. A good soak when it is needed is far better than little sprays that do not wet the soil properly.

Those 2 things are enough to start with.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VesnaK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by VesnaK »

Raging Bull wrote: August 9th, 2020, 5:21 pm Hi Vesna, and welcome to Ausbonsai. :gday:
To add pictures scroll down to below where you write the message and click on Attachments and then on Add Files. It opens the window with your files and you then click on the files you want to attach and then click enter. Then, still down the bottom click on Place in line and the photo will be put where you left the cursor. It's best to keep the file size below 500 kb, bigger than that and they may not load. I've attached a pic of one of my Juniper squamata Prostrata.
Cheers, Frank

Thank you Frank for the welcome and your help :) You have beautiful Juniper :)
I was added some photos but unfortunately I could not add another one bcs it had 2 MB more.

145A528E-7FBE-4710-BFA4-CECCCB396FE6.jpeg
0ADF409F-EF4B-44A6-883C-3E186B14F62A.jpeg
68EA0F01-1C9A-4288-96A3-F378509DDF11.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VesnaK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by VesnaK »

shibui wrote: August 9th, 2020, 6:29 pm Congratulations on becoming a bonsai grower. Also well done on asking for advice at the start. That should save some heartache.
First advice for juniper bonsai is that they need to live outside. Junipers rarely live very long indoors.
Water when it starts to get dry. Too wet all the time is not good. Too dry is not good. Feel the soil to gauge when it is starting to get dry. If it has stones glued on to of the soil pull those off so you can see and feel the soil and water properly. A good soak when it is needed is far better than little sprays that do not wet the soil properly.

Those 2 things are enough to start with.

Thank you shibui for all your tips :) I will apply all that tips.I am really happy to have found this forum and dedicated Bonsai lovers who want to help :)
I hope I found a good spot for my Juniper and hope it can provide full sun during day. Pls if you have some advice more tell me. Especially bcs the plant maybe is not in very good condition.Thanks a lot.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Your juniper looks healthy.
The brown needles are a natural part of juniper growth. Notice that all the dead needles are back on the oldest parts of the tree. Each needle only lives for about 2-3 years. When the needle is too old to work properly it dies and turns brown but in the meantime new ones have grown at the ends of the shoots so the tree should always have young, healthy leaves to catch sun to make food.
If you see brown needles on the ends of the branches where there should be fresh, healthy ones that is the time to worry.

At some stage your tree will need some pruning. Pruning stops the tree getting longer and longer and helps us keep our trees in shape.
Selective pruning can also thin out the dense foliage so that light can reach all parts. When the foliage gets too thick inside shoots and branches will die from lack of sun so selective pruning can help keep the whole tree healthy.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gyrza
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Atlas Cedar
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by gyrza »

The Bonsai Mirai youtube videos, beginner and BSOP series, are well worth watching. ;)
VesnaK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by VesnaK »

gyrza wrote: August 9th, 2020, 8:58 pm The Bonsai Mirai youtube videos, beginner and BSOP series, are well worth watching. ;)
Thank you gurza :) I will definitely look into it
bunce
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: BONSAI NW

Post by bunce »

Bjorn’s beginner course on bonsai empire is also really worth the $30. It’ll save you $100s in dead trees. If you are going to expand your collection please support dedicated bonsai nurseries like Neil’s (shibui). Don’t go to regular nurseries or bunnings. Bonsai-U by Eisei-En just did a video on YouTube on bonsai terminology and it might help you start off and get excited to do more bonsai.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:hooray: Hakuju-En Bonsai Nursery - Shohin - Mame - Tokoname Pots - Display Tables - Repot - Styling work - https://hakujuenbonsai.com/ :aussie:

Return to “Pines and Junipers”