New bonsai juniperus squamata prostrata Care

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Kyriakos
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperous squamata prosata
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Facebook

New bonsai juniperus squamata prostrata Care

Post by Kyriakos »

Hey guys I’m new to bonsai and just hoping to get some care advise for my new bonsai plant
Juniperus squamata prostrata
It is a 2014 plant so 6 years old
I have it currently in a spot that only gets morning sun outdoors, and I live in nsw

How often should I fertilise and what do you guys recommend I fertilise with?

How often should I water it and mist the leaves with water
When I water should I water by placing it in a water pan and allow to soak up water for 5 minuets or should I pour water into as a normal plant

Do I require and pest spray or insecticide ?
Do they benefit from defoliation in the coming months as other bonsai species do
6781B791-C3E6-4405-A8DE-8CE711232D18.jpeg
E7889ADA-B45C-4B93-BAF7-1A9C5AFA1DF9.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: New bonsai juniperus squamata prostrata Care

Post by shibui »

We don't defoliate conifers. They are slow to grow so can't replace leaves quick enough and may die if you remove all the leaves. Juniper does not always produce buds on older, bare wood either so don't prune below green.

Fertilise juniper like all other bonsai. Every 2-3 weeks with a complete fertiliser. Everyone has their own favorite, some go organic, but I use whatever I have available. Use at the recommended rates on the packet.
Water when the soil starts to get dry. That will vary depending on the time of year, weather, how long the tree has been in the pot, size of pot and what potting mix it is in. Do't water by calendar. Check the soil with a finger or leave a wood skewer in the soil to gauge if it is still damp. Keeping the roots always wet can kill a juniper but letting it get too dry is also fatal.
Watering from the top with a gentle rain from a watering an or soft spray on the hose is good because it washes the leaves as well but it does take some practice to get enough water right into the roots. Soaking the pot once a week is a good way to make sure it is properly watered at least occasionally while you learn.
You should only need to spray is there is a problem. Just watch out for tiny spider webs which can be mites. Juniper occasionally get tiny scale insects on the leaves as well but neither are really common. Inspect leaves closely a couple of times each year and watch for changes in colour that might indicate a problem.

Morning sun will be OK while you learn to manage it but a little more sun is usually better for conifers.
These junipers grow mostly from the ends so it will grow longer and longer. You will need to trim the long shoots occasionally to keep it in shape.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kyriakos
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperous squamata prosata
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Facebook

Re: New bonsai juniperus squamata prostrata Care

Post by Kyriakos »

Thanks Shibui
I’ll keep that all in mind and thanks for taking the time to reply

Return to “Pines and Junipers”