Radiata Pine [Ryceman3]

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Radiata Pine [Ryceman3]

Post by Ryceman3 »

It's been a while since I posted a new addition to my bonsai collection, I guess most of the reason for that could be contributed to the fact nothing has been open for me to buy from up until a few weeks ago ... and then of course there is the issue of space ... but that's another matter...

In any case, I went on a trip out to hakujuen nursery today where I was seriously impressed by the amount of quality trees on display and I found myself leaving with this ...
RadPin_01.jpg
It's a shohin sized pinus radiata (monterey pine). Of course it was a pine, but I haven't got a radiata so that piqued my interest as much as anything ... should be fun figuring out how to get the most out of it. I know there is a bit of conjecture about whether these are single or multi flush, but Matt showed me a pretty serious sized one that he had and seems to be on the side of "treat them like a JBP" ... who am I to argue! :yes:

Most likely I'll just be watching it for the next 6 months or more and then have a look at how things are travelling and what might be ready to happen after that.

Thanks for showing me around Matt, if you are in Melbourne and looking for something to do, maybe book yourself a visit to hakujuen, there's lots to be inspired by on display (and for sale... ;) )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Re: Radiata Pine [Ryceman3]

Post by Keels »

Man I love a good radiata pine. what a cool little tree. The national collection has a few quality examples i just love. I'm starting to get into them a lot more but I always find "single or multi" flush part confusing so i just treat them as black pines now :tu:
bunce
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: BONSAI NW

Post by bunce »

Thanks for stopping by Ryceman3! :wave: Wow what a lovely write up you have done on us! :hooray:

We have fixed up the appointment booking technical issues that caused our issues this morning too. :reading:

Would love to have you back to have another look in the future.

Matt
:hooray: Hakuju-En Bonsai Nursery - Shohin - Mame - Tokoname Pots - Display Tables - Repot - Styling work - https://hakujuenbonsai.com/ :aussie:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Another day, another pine ... same kind of work carried out on this as my other recent JBP posts. I hadn't really touched it since I bought it so was keen to give it a bit of love and put my stamp on it (somewhat) in the styling.
:beer:
PinRad AB_2.jpg
PinRad AB_3.jpg
PinRad AB_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Macros
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm/Maple
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Macros »

Nice! I believe these are really overlooked for use as Bonsai. I was told years ago that needle reduction was too difficult, but I think they look awesome!
There is a beautiful Radiata Pine down here in Melbourne at Garden World.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Has it ever made you wonder, who was the first person to say " See that cow..... I'm going to pull on those pink dangelly things....and drink what ever comes out" ?
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Macros wrote: July 29th, 2021, 6:11 pm Nice! I believe these are really overlooked for use as Bonsai. I was told years ago that needle reduction was too difficult, but I think they look awesome!
There is a beautiful Radiata Pine down here in Melbourne at Garden World.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have seen a number of quality Radiata as bonsai… most of them a fair bit bigger than this one,but I still have hope I can massage this one to remain a shohin for a bit longer.
Definitely overlooked/under-rated… people get a bit nervous around species they don’t have experience with or understand (which is fair enough), doesn’t mean they can’t be good!
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Just watching this one needle out as Spring kicks in ... pretty happy with how things are progressing. It's filling out nicely and the new growth doesn't seem to be ridiculously long so should be able to maintain a small size (at least over the short term ... the next 5 years or so) I think. Obviously no real work has been carried out apart from water and fert since the last post. When it comes time to revisit the wiring I'm hoping to get this even more refined and "dialled in". There are quite a few adventitious shoots emerging back along the branching which should help to open up some options.
RP-S IG_1.jpg
RP-S IG_2.jpg
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Just an update after some work to check the growth on this again today… it likes to grow!
There’s a few structural issues near the apex so there will be some biggish changes in the coming years, but for now it lives in this silhouette.
F7B74EAA-0DA5-4A86-8100-775BF7DF2520.jpeg
42C09E64-0AAE-4556-AA2D-7A0B2005C137.jpeg
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Post by Patmet »

I'm on the Radiata train all the way. I have five of them i have been training from tube stock and have found them very fun and rewarding to work with so far. They certainly do like to grow. Mine are early days yet so it's nice to see yours in refinement good work :tu:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Patmet wrote: January 10th, 2022, 7:06 pm I'm on the Radiata train all the way. I have five of them i have been training from tube stock and have found them very fun and rewarding to work with so far. They certainly do like to grow. Mine are early days yet so it's nice to see yours in refinement good work :tu:
Yeah, Radiata is a pretty untapped species (relatively) here in Oz I think… particularly given how widespread they are. They’ve got merit, I’ll persist with them I think, I’ve seen enough from others (and the development of this tree) that make me believe there is something worth pursuing!

Return to “Pines and Junipers”