Demo by David Benavente

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Re: Demo by David Benavente

Post by delisea »

treeman wrote: March 13th, 2021, 12:03 pm I absolutely wouldn't put the slightest effort into understanding the ''cultural background'' or the ''motivation'' of the ''artist''
Should I be cancelled? :mrgreen:
Mike you reveal more than you know with this comment. Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.

Tim - Micheal Hegedorn's trees are wonderful. He has such a great touch. You can see master, Shinji Suzuki's influence...or did Hegedorn he pick Suzuki because he likeed his style. I would love to see what he would do with some tall eucalyptus.

There is something about some of Ryan Neil's trees that I don't enjoy. I think it is because he has a set of branching shapes that he uses when he is creating a 'natural look'. Those patterns become recognisable so it looks more contrived than when someone is clearly not trying to create a 'natural tree'. There are couple of Australian's that have adopted a similar style on native material. At first it looks cool, but then you can stop seeing those same shapes.

Let's finish this thread off with somethings to ponder:
Why is bonsai obsessed with old trees, why don't we make young trees in the first flush of life?

Why do we think originality has such cache? Originality in art only became a thing in the early 20th century. There are million trees in a forest; what is wrong with having one of them on your bonsai bench, straight, sparse, unloved just like all the others?

Cheers,
S

PS just to annoy some of you more Marou Stemberger
Stemberger.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by delisea on March 14th, 2021, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stu
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 19
Bonsai Club: Vic Native BC

Post by Stu »

This is fun! :tu:
delisea wrote: March 14th, 2021, 1:09 pm
Let's finish this thread off with somethings to ponder:
Why is bonsai obsessed with old trees, why don't we make young trees in the first flush of life?

Why do we think originality has such cache? Originality in art only became a thing in the early 20th century. There are million trees in a forest; what is wrong with having one of them on your bonsai bench, straight, sparse, unloved just like all the others?

Cheers,
S

PS just to annoy some of you more Marou Stemberger
Stemberger.jpg
I think the obsession with older tree is the success of getting to that age. They have a story and the scars to prove it. There is a majesty in the achievement of hanging around as long as they have. A young tree, as well as being common, has less to inspire. A bit like creating inspiring statues of random kids instead of people who have achieved something significant in their lives.
And yes Mauro's tree are awfully contrived. Amazingly skilled but not my cup of tea. Looks like its made of Lego. :2c:
Stu
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

delisea wrote: March 14th, 2021, 1:09 pm There is something about some of Niel Ryan's trees that I don't enjoy.
The guy's name is Ryan Neil.
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by delisea »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote: March 14th, 2021, 1:58 pm
delisea wrote: March 14th, 2021, 1:09 pm There is something about some of Niel Ryan's trees that I don't enjoy.
The guy's name is Ryan Neil.
Fixed
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

delisea wrote: March 14th, 2021, 1:09 pm
treeman wrote: March 13th, 2021, 12:03 pm I absolutely wouldn't put the slightest effort into understanding the ''cultural background'' or the ''motivation'' of the ''artist''
Should I be cancelled? :mrgreen:
Mike you reveal more than you know with this comment. Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.
I know exactly what I ''reveal'' with that comment and I'm not looking for anything, but thanks for the good wishes.
Mike
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

please help-----I'm not really understanding what you mean-- a few good examples of non-cookie cutter bonsai and an explanation of their merits would help
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

tgward wrote: March 14th, 2021, 6:47 pm please help-----I'm not really understanding what you mean-- a few good examples of non-cookie cutter bonsai and an explanation of their merits would help
You should specify who you are addressing. I'll assume it's me....
I'm not going through all this again but you can look at this thread (below) and there are quite a few discussions on this topic you can find by searching using some key words such as ''natural bonsai'' etc.
I just wanted to voice my disappointment in the lack of imagination shown by all the stars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvR7s9AZTnI

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=24599&p=287010#p287010
Mike
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Post by wrcmad »

I guess you would have to look into the tea leaves and poetry instead? ;)
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Yeah Mauro is like offender #1 for contrived trees IMO :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by delisea »

TimS wrote: March 15th, 2021, 11:43 am Yeah Mauro is like offender #1 for contrived trees IMO :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Yeah, but he makes the perfect Italian trees. Think Rome or just about any Italian city, crumbling ancient buildings and people outrageously well-dressed just to pop down the shops to get some milk. His trees are the same, ancient collected bones and super slick clothes. Perfecto!
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

wrcmad wrote: March 15th, 2021, 6:05 am
I guess you would have to look into the tea leaves and poetry instead? ;)
[/quote]

Nice try, but those points were brought up as poof of how an original idea can be slowly and unperceptibly altered away from all recognition, not as proof of the need to understand cultural backgrounds in order to appreciate the ''natural'' as opposed to the ''artificial''. A perception which requires no culture or understanding of the motivations of others. I guess that subtly will always escape you?
Mike
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Post by wrcmad »

treeman wrote: March 15th, 2021, 1:53 pm Nice try, but those points were brought up as poof of how an original idea can be slowly and unperceptibly altered away from all recognition, not as proof of the need to understand cultural backgrounds in order to appreciate the ''natural'' as opposed to the ''artificial''.
I guess the blind conceity of regarding one's own mere opinion as "proof" will subtly always escape you?
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

wrcmad wrote: March 15th, 2021, 2:10 pm
treeman wrote: March 15th, 2021, 1:53 pm Nice try, but those points were brought up as poof of how an original idea can be slowly and unperceptibly altered away from all recognition, not as proof of the need to understand cultural backgrounds in order to appreciate the ''natural'' as opposed to the ''artificial''.
I guess the blind conceity of regarding one's own mere opinion as "proof" will subtly always escape you?
Conciety? :lol: Explain how it's only my opinion rather than an abundantly obvious fact.
Mike
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

treeman wrote: March 14th, 2021, 7:48 pm
tgward wrote: March 14th, 2021, 6:47 pm please help-----I'm not really understanding what you mean-- a few good examples of non-cookie cutter bonsai and an explanation of their merits would help
You should specify who you are addressing. I'll assume it's me....
I'm not going through all this again but you can look at this thread (below) and there are quite a few discussions on this topic you can find by searching using some key words such as ''natural bonsai'' etc.
I just wanted to voice my disappointment in the lack of imagination shown by all the stars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvR7s9AZTnI

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=24599&p=287010#p287010
perhaps a few examples of your own work
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

tgward wrote: March 15th, 2021, 3:05 pm

perhaps a few examples of your own work