Juniper styling

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
The other Ryan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Juniper styling

Post by The other Ryan »

Had a go at using raffia tonight. Bit tricky but hopefully I wrapped it tight enough. I can see why alternative tapes are used instead. I think this is a sabina but if anyone knows let me know :tu:

Will trim and twist the remaining branches in dramatic fashion for fun as they are all quite thin and leave it grow.

Is there a particular length of time you have to leave raffia on or am I best to wait until the wire starts to bite a bit to know that the bends have stuck?

Before
C324C7E6-5E6A-4E77-ABB0-2B86C37A7499.jpeg
After
33C7D868-00E9-49D8-87B7-B04CDC0160FF.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Juniper styling

Post by shibui »

It looks like you got the bends you needed so the wrap was good.
Not sure if you have seen anyone competent using raffia on bonsai but there is a technique for working with raffia that makes it a bit quicker to apply.

For future reference I believe it is more effective and safer to have wire on the outside of a curve if possible as it is thought to help support the wood as you bend. Looks like you avoided that branch by going above it with the initial winding and so missed the area that received the main stress while bending.
I know everybody has their own ideas about what is right but I think I would have wound the wire just a faction closer together. In the end if wiring is successful then it is OK.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

It looks like a chinensis to me but junipers are not my strong suit.
The time is all about the wire. The raffia is only there to ensure the fibers are protected. From a glance I am guessing 12 months should see it set and ready for the next step.
Good luck with it.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The other Ryan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by The other Ryan »

shibui wrote: March 18th, 2021, 6:19 am It looks like you got the bends you needed so the wrap was good.
Not sure if you have seen anyone competent using raffia on bonsai but there is a technique for working with raffia that makes it a bit quicker to apply.

For future reference I believe it is more effective and safer to have wire on the outside of a curve if possible as it is thought to help support the wood as you bend. Looks like you avoided that branch by going above it with the initial winding and so missed the area that received the main stress while bending.
I know everybody has their own ideas about what is right but I think I would have wound the wire just a faction closer together. In the end if wiring is successful then it is OK.
Thanks for the feedback Neil. I had soaked the raffia for a for hours beforehand, I just find the wrapping a bit tricky at first. Not my best wiring job but it’s all learning and correction for next time. I think I was lucky that where it bend higher up the trunk is quite thin and the heavier wire is holding it down firmly and I didn’t hear or feel any cranks :fc:

I honestly didn’t have much foresight with how I wanted to be styled but it turned out ok.
The other Ryan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by The other Ryan »

Watto wrote: March 18th, 2021, 6:21 am It looks like a chinensis to me but junipers are not my strong suit.
The time is all about the wire. The raffia is only there to ensure the fibers are protected. From a glance I am guessing 12 months should see it set and ready for the next step.
Good luck with it.
Cheers Watto. I’ll keep my eyes on it more closer to the end of the year

Return to “Pines and Junipers”