Juniper browning after repot

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Phil.B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Juniper browning after repot

Post by Phil.B »

Hi,

I've seen a bunch of threads on similar topics but don't feel like any are close enough

I live in the tropics (FNQ) and have been trying to get into Bonsai. I have a Juniperus Squamata. I had a starter tree which I got around Christmas (wet season = very hot) and after getting it in the post I repotted it and it subsequently died pretty fast. I think it was probably too much sun, too little water and repotting stress.

So I got another one, and this time just left it in the starter pot for about 6 months, wiring, trimming and getting used to the watering for it and not stressing it too much. The pot was about 5" wide, 8" deep.

I decided last week it was a good time to move it in the bonsai bot, and unfortunately I'm seeing it start to brown now. The last time I noticed this, it was basically dead already, so I'm concerned.

I didn't really trim the roots, just cleared them out (so some naturally came off) and put it in the pot and used a bonsai soil mix (same shop). I did also put a few pellets (which also came from the same shop) of fertilizer in which perhaps wasn't ideal but given they're slow release I can't imagine that's the cause.

I'm finding it a lot harder to know when to water it, given the shallower pot (8" wide, 2.5" deep) - I have a moisture meter I put in there but it doesn't go too far in. And I try to feel the soil an inch in (I've got stones on the top which makes it harder to see the soil, though) but still think it's being watered enough.

The main thing I'm thinking is that I did move the plant to a shelf I made at the back of the veranda, it doesn't get any full sun there, whereas before it probably got a few hours direct sun a day - of course it still gets lots of indirect sunlight though.

My questions are - do you think that the stress of repotting plus perhaps the lack of full sunlight could be causing this, and is it likely to recover or it's a gonner now?
I've attached a picture of the roots, the plant after repotting and 3 pictures of it now.

Thanks for reading.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Juniper browning after repot

Post by shibui »

Your juniper does not look good. Usually by the time they get brown that section is already dead. I can see a lower branch which still looks greener so there may be some hope yet.
There should have been no problem with that repot in regards to roots. Mine survive just fine with a lot less root than that.
I normally just put junipers straight back onto the normal growing spot in sun. They definitely don't like full shade but a few weeks should not be enough to cause the problems you are seeing.

Watering can cause the symptoms yours have. Not enough water will cause dead leaves fairly quick. Too much water can do the same but usually takes much longer as a fungal infection needs to grow and multiply and kill the roots before the same symptoms appear.
You appear confident that this is not lack of water. The moisture meters are notoriously inaccurate so throw it away and use your sense of sight and feel to gauge water needs.

Wiring can be the cause of juniper die back but the results often don't show up for a few weeks or even months after the event. When was this one wired and bent? Bending while the junipers are actively growing seems to be the worst so we usually do any bends when they are less active in winter (not sure what that means for you up there??)

Not sure what else to suggest. Maybe someone else has ideas?
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

It’s dead or on its way out.

AFTERCARE is everything. Water but not too much, WIRED IN so its stable and not prone to movement by wing, keep out of full sun for a week or two.
That should be enough.

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Junipers don’t like extreme humidity, so maybe not a good species for your area.
Phil.B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Phil.B »

Thanks for the replies.
shibui wrote: August 28th, 2021, 8:55 pm Your juniper does not look good. Usually by the time they get brown that section is already dead. I can see a lower branch which still looks greener so there may be some hope yet.
That's what I was afraid of!
shibui wrote: August 28th, 2021, 8:55 pm Watering can cause the symptoms yours have.
You appear confident that this is not lack of water.
Maybe it is then - as I said I find it pretty difficult to know when to water. I try to feel the soil but perhaps I've got it wrong.
shibui wrote: August 28th, 2021, 8:55 pm Wiring can be the cause of juniper die back but the results often don't show up for a few weeks or even months after the event. When was this one wired and bent? Bending while the junipers are actively growing seems to be the worst so we usually do any bends when they are less active in winter (not sure what that means for you up there??)
I wired it quite a few months ago I think. But yeah there's not really winter here so I just did it in the dry season when it's not as hot and humid.
Grant Bowie wrote: August 28th, 2021, 9:06 pm AFTERCARE is everything. Water but not too much, WIRED IN so its stable and not prone to movement by wing, keep out of full sun for a week or two.
It's wired in but probably not enough as it still has some movement. Why do you say keep out of full sun though? I thought that was the reason it might be dying off as it's been in the shade. Especially as Shibui mentioned they don't like full shade.

The thing that baffles me is that it was doing fine before the repot so I must've been watering it quite well then. It's only been a week or two since repotting so could watering schedule or being out of sun have such a quick impact?

Anything I can do except just wait and see, then?
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

don't know if it is the cause but I'm always too scared to completely bare root any evergreen when repotting .
Phil.B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Phil.B »

tgward wrote: August 29th, 2021, 1:30 pm don't know if it is the cause but I'm always too scared to completely bare root any evergreen when repotting .
Ah thank you! I think this makes a lot of sense. I wasn't aware of "bare rooting", but now I see it's pretty important so that is likely my mistake. Thanks again.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I'm not convinced that's the problem.
I know there is persistent talk of junipers not liking it but I shake out all the mix and trim roots of my junipers all the time and have no problems. No bare root for junipers may refer to really old trees or it may be appropriate in other climates but here they seem to thrive regardless. You can see one I just did this week in the Jow's repotting thread.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Phil.B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Phil.B »

shibui wrote: August 30th, 2021, 6:35 pm I'm not convinced that's the problem.
I know there is persistent talk of junipers not liking it but I shake out all the mix and trim roots of my junipers all the time and have no problems. No bare root for junipers may refer to really old trees or it may be appropriate in other climates but here they seem to thrive regardless. You can see one I just did this week in the Jow's repotting thread.
Oh right damn. I’ve no idea what then if not that. Maybe my watering was off but I never felt the soil go dry and it didn’t go more than a few days without watering

Perhaps it was just a combination then? Not being in full sun plus being bare rooted plus sub optimal watering. I did trim it back a bit and bend the wire a bit more so maybe extra little stressors too.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”