Can a juniper recover from losing all its leaves?

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Derivious
Bonsai Age: 1

Can a juniper recover from losing all its leaves?

Post by Derivious »

hi, i have a small juniper 2 years old. was doing ok then all of a sudden i think it got stressed out. i Looked inside the pot and found mould so i assumed it was poor draining soil so i re-potted it in a good mix. about a week later all the leaves dried out and died. most of the branches are still green under the bark and there is 2-3 new shoots. Can this plan come back in time or will it eventually just die now?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Can a juniper recover from losing all its leaves?

Post by shibui »

As usual in bonsai - It all depends.
Junipers definitely don't like losing lots of foliage so we try not to do that when possible but like all of us they would rather survive than die. I've seen junipers come back from apparent death so never throw one out unless it has had no foliage for at least 6 months.
Some green shoots is a good sign. Just work out what good care for juniper is and do that.

Mould in a pot is probably not the original problem. I'd guess more likely not enough water or too much water or wrong location. All are common factors causing junipers to die.
So many factors influence how plants grow so some more info on how you water and care for, where it lives and possibly some photos would help us give you better diagnosis and options. Also where it came from and how long you looked after it before the original problem may be relevant.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Re: Can a juniper recover from losing all its leaves?

Post by Akhi »

If it's a two year plant better off getting a new one.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”