Ezo Spruce.

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Ezo Spruce.

Post by treeman »

These take a long, long......long time to shape. Now the branches are more or less in position they can slowly - ever so slowly - fill in.
Even getting the trunk to stay straight is a trial. The tree has been wired countless times.
20220709_171156.jpg
20220709_171301.jpg
20220709_171306.jpg
20220709_171309.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
Robsterios
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Mornington Peninsula BS, BSV

Re: Ezo Spruce.

Post by Robsterios »

So long... so very long... imagine that group that you sold me that's now together with more trees in a forest... wire, de-wire, wire again..!!
But...oh so nice when they get going. Have been a bit obsessive over them since seeing those 100 year old ones in Japan.
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

Thought I'd ask here rather than start a new post.

I recently acquired an Ezo which was grown from seed. I was told seed grown can look quite different.

It's tall and twiggy at the moment - I'd like to get it to fill out more. How do I accomplish this? Does it back-bud readily on old wood?

Also, does this species air-layer well? If it does, I might take off the top third to compact the tree a bit more - it's around 140cm tall at the moment.

Any other care tips for Ezo's would be appreciated - it's a new species to me.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

SuperBonSaiyan wrote: November 7th, 2022, 7:26 am Thought I'd ask here rather than start a new post.

I recently acquired an Ezo which was grown from seed. I was told seed grown can look quite different.

It's tall and twiggy at the moment - I'd like to get it to fill out more. How do I accomplish this? Does it back-bud readily on old wood?

Also, does this species air-layer well? If it does, I might take off the top third to compact the tree a bit more - it's around 140cm tall at the moment.

Any other care tips for Ezo's would be appreciated - it's a new species to me.
Looks more like a common Norway spruce too me but it can be difficult to tell them apart sometimes. You can shorten the shoots back all over the tree for now and repot, remove branches and create a new leader in autumn or spring. Feed it in the mean time.
Mike
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

treeman wrote: November 7th, 2022, 3:47 pm You can shorten the shoots back all over the tree for now and repot, remove branches and create a new leader in autumn or spring. Feed it in the mean time.
Is it safe to repot at the moment? I thought it was a few months too late based on what people have told me - but that was not specific to Ezo spruce.

I'd like to repot it to get an understanding of how the roots are (and thus determine the overall health of the tree), but I don't want to do it at the wrong time and damage the tree.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

SuperBonSaiyan wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 8:49 pm
treeman wrote: November 7th, 2022, 3:47 pm You can shorten the shoots back all over the tree for now and repot, remove branches and create a new leader in autumn or spring. Feed it in the mean time.
Is it safe to repot at the moment? I thought it was a few months too late based on what people have told me - but that was not specific to Ezo spruce.

I'd like to repot it to get an understanding of how the roots are (and thus determine the overall health of the tree), but I don't want to do it at the wrong time and damage the tree.
If you are careful but it's a bit late.
Mike

Return to “Pines and Junipers”