Spruce (Picea Glauca) starting from scratch

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
TimIAm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Elm, Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Spruce (Picea Glauca) starting from scratch

Post by TimIAm »

Bought this Spruce today and wanted to share my approach with this new tree. I've only ever had one Spruce before, the first tree I bought, many, many years ago. I managed to kill that one quite rapidly.

So, I just jumped in on this one, but was reading across the forums today and plenty of people saying these are quite slow to grow... so I guess this will be a long term project.

This certainly isn't advice, and I don't want to sound like I know what I'm doing. This is just what has worked for me in the past. I love reading the forums here and just wanted to share.
HMAJ1398.JPG
So the approach is to cut the tree down to the base, leaving one branch which will be the new apex and another branch as a sacrifice branch. I try to select a sacrifice branch which is on the opposite side of the apex branch, out of the way. For the apex branch, I try to look at the root branching and a side branch that has a good angle to the trunk (so whatever I think will look good, eventually).
RTNA2823.JPG
Above is the plant post-chop. There are a few more smaller branches that I leave just in-case I manage to kill the new apex branch first wiring :o
VMYT5541.JPG
I then hollow out the chop. This helps things heal over faster (at least that's what I believe). Because it's a young tree, as the new apex thickens up and the cut heals over, I still end up with a nice rounded bend where the cut was made.

The reason I bother to do this, and what has worked for me... as the tree grows and branches, I select individual branches as the apex path. Which allows me to select bends which would be difficult to get with just wiring. Also, as I cut back at each new bend as the apex progresses, it thickens the base and creates taper.

Anyone else into chopping right back to build taper? Or think it's too risky / not worth it / dumb idea? Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: No Luck Leptospermum, Could be Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club

Re: Spruce (Picea Glauca) starting from scratch

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

That is really Shibui’s approach.

Better to cut earlier than later to build both taper and change of direction for interest as well as decreasing the time for cuts to heal over. At least that is how I understand it.

I won’t say that is what I do. Too new to this. I have that approach underway, as well as a few others so I have something to do / learn too.
--
No idea what I am doing…
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

Aim to replace leaders. At least with deciduous trees.

Coniferous material… it’s a different story.

You’ve chosen a hard species mate.
TimIAm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimIAm »

Daluke wrote: August 14th, 2022, 8:41 pm Aim to replace leaders. At least with deciduous trees.

Coniferous material… it’s a different story.

You’ve chosen a hard species mate.
Thanks for the reply. I had really good success with a squamata over two years. Hoping this lasts the distance!
boristhebadseed
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Albury Wodonga

Post by boristhebadseed »

G'day Tim

I'm located in Mid to Northern Victoria.

I bought this Picea Glauca/Abies, not 100% sure, anyhow I purchased it from a Mitre 10 as an overgrown off cast on a special table. It was quite large ,at least 400mm.
I have since repotted, trimmed, dead wooded the apex etc, and it hasn't missed a beat and has grown quite steadily and prolifically, requiring at least 2 x prunings per yr.

So far I've had it for about 7-8 yrs and has been worked quite hard, and paired down, it ramifies quite prilifically including back budding on old wood and trunks.

I have just this week repotted, pruned and

Im attaching progress pics in case they're helpful. The start in 2016 when bought and finish this week.

I hope this is beneficial. This is my first spruce andso my only experience with this species.
ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

TimIAm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimIAm »

Thanks for sharing Boris.

I seem to get a lot more enjoyment from taking an off-cast or something cheap and turning it into something special. But it definitely takes years to get there. Also, love the ground covering, it matches the tree perfectly.

I understand why some trees get labelled difficult. Given I live in Sydney, one of the easiest climates in the world, I trust that it's going to grow. It may be a matter of patience, but I've got that. Since the chop, it's already started pushing out lots of new growth. I can definitely see that it likes to back bud.

I also plan to post some progress pics on this thread over time. In 7 - 8 years (or maybe 10), I will hopefully have a tree as nice as yours!
boristhebadseed
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Albury Wodonga

Post by boristhebadseed »

Nice, I greatly look forward to your updates. May your garden be ever growing...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Return to “Pines and Junipers”