Shimpaku restyle

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Shimpaku restyle

Post by shibui »

Another of my twisted and contorted shimpaku. It has been in the pot for a year or 2 but I was not entirely happy about the shape.
CH090488.JPG
The problem seems to be the tree does not know whether it is upright or semi-cascade.
Trunk splits into 2 equal caliper trunks. One going up and the other going down, the junctions almost 180 degrees ie opposite.
CH090490.JPG
Apart from being both up and down, that junction interrupts the flow along the trunk.

After some consideration I decided to simplify the trunk line and decided the lower one fitted far better with the twisted lower part of the trunk.
Off with its head!
CH160562.JPG
I've wired and bent the fresh jin a little to conform better with the line of the cascading trunk, removed quite a few redundant branches to leave some space and wired the remaining trunk down a little more.
It might even look better turned a few degrees at next repot.
CH160563.JPG
Enough work for now. I'll leave it to recover before removing any more or wiring the remaining branches any more.
It has been a while since the dead wood was treated. Lime sulphur should make the older shari and new jins stand out better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Re: Shimpaku restyle

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

It's got much more character now, I like it. I look forward to seeing what it's like once it's filled out a bit more as well.

This gives me inspiration to work on my younger shimpaku's and have something to aim toward. Most of what I see on
Youtube is so much older & bigger - something that probably doesn't exist yet in this country.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”