Hinoki initial styling - constructive feedback welcome

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Hinoki initial styling - constructive feedback welcome

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

I styled my first bonsai today! A cultivar of the Hinoki cypress.

Before:

After:

I welcome any constructive feedback. If you don't like it, please say why so I can learn. Whether it's aesthetics, technique, or anything else.

I've only recently gotten into bonsai, so I'm sure there are things I can improve upon.

I decided to leave a bunch of deadwood instead of cutting down flush, as it may give me more options in the upcoming days as I study the tree a bit more. I figured I can always cut down to flush later on.

From mid-summer, I do plan to apply wire and shape the branches a bit more - this was just the initial styling to get the general shape of the tree in place.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Re: Hinoki initial styling - constructive feedback welcome

Post by TimS »

I’ll be interested to see how it goes, I’ve not tried removing so much foliage from a Hinoki, but that’s not to say it’s a problem either.

Keep in mind going forward that they don’t back bud (or at least I’ve not seen it happen), so try to keep foliage alive close in to the trunk as much as you can to help give you options in the future for design
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

TimS wrote: October 23rd, 2022, 7:30 pm I’ll be interested to see how it goes, I’ve not tried removing so much foliage from a Hinoki, but that’s not to say it’s a problem either.

Keep in mind going forward that they don’t back bud (or at least I’ve not seen it happen), so try to keep foliage alive close in to the trunk as much as you can to help give you options in the future for design
Me too! I did worry about that at one point (whether too much foliage was removed), but I think it'll be okay. I am really interested to see if the branch on the left will survive. I deliberately snapped that to see if Hinokis will survive (like Junipers) with a live vein. I wanted to get rid of the branch anyway, so it'll be a free experiment.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I am really interested to see if the branch on the left will survive. I deliberately snapped that to see if Hinokis will survive (like Junipers) with a live vein. I wanted to get rid of the branch anyway, so it'll be a free experiment.
All trees/branches can survive with a live vein. It has nothing to do with species, just basic pant biology. The question I'm asking is whether that branch actually has any live connection to the trunk now.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

shibui wrote: October 24th, 2022, 7:04 am
I am really interested to see if the branch on the left will survive. I deliberately snapped that to see if Hinokis will survive (like Junipers) with a live vein. I wanted to get rid of the branch anyway, so it'll be a free experiment.
All trees/branches can survive with a live vein. It has nothing to do with species, just basic pant biology. The question I'm asking is whether that branch actually has any live connection to the trunk now.
I'm not sure, but time will tell... or is there another way I can tell?

It's not part of the final design because it's thicker than the branch below it, which looked odd to me. In my mind, trees should have thinner upper branches.
bunce
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: BONSAI NW

Post by bunce »

See how the back budding goes, id personally be chasing a mame sized tree out of the material.
:hooray: Hakuju-En Bonsai Nursery - Shohin - Mame - Tokoname Pots - Display Tables - Repot - Styling work - https://hakujuenbonsai.com/ :aussie:

Return to “Pines and Junipers”