Tall Juniper Styling Advice

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
AidanF
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus
Bonsai Age: 1

Tall Juniper Styling Advice

Post by AidanF »

Hi All, first time posting so nice to meet everyone.

Looking for some suggestions from more experienced growers on possible styles for my new juniper. I bought it a couple of months ago as nursery stock, basically a giant overgrown bush which I've cut back significantly (see photos below).
Overgrown Bush.jpg
Here it is right after I brought it home:
370277848_368947422263090_1280322355081200698_n.jpg
And here it is right now, current front after being cut back and allowed to grow for a couple of months. Note: the lower branch had sadly already started dying back when I had bought it due to shading out. Had no choice but to turn it into deadwood. May or may not keep, but for now wanted to give myself the option. Also know the branches probably need a clean-up. Wanted to leave it for a season after removing so much foliage.

I've currently got it roughly styled like a connifer, but I'm torn about whether to continue down that path or potentially take it down the path of a literati. I'm also thinking of potentially taking the trunk back slightly further, maybe by two branches, as the apex was rather overgrown and those branches are quite thick and wide spreading.

Would love to hear folk's suggestions! If literati, any advise for styling it that way? I've not worked with literati before so it'll be a learning curve, but I love the way they can look.

If connifer, how would you recommend I develop the branches?

Happy to share more info if needed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Tall Juniper Styling Advice

Post by shibui »

For my 2c the lower trunk has some mild bends but the upper trunk is straight, lacks taper and therefore monotonous. I can't see that section being impressive in any style and certainly not literati.
You've already picked up on the 2 thick branches in the apex but I think that needs to go further.
Some bends in that upper section might alleviate some of the boring straight section but will never address the issue of taper and there's no real scale to judge how thick that trunk is so hard to work out if it is bendable.
Only pruning or maybe jin or shari can help with taper.

I know further trunk reduction will seem like a step backwards and will frighten many beginners but that's the easiest way to improve the trunk issues this tree has now.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AidanF
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by AidanF »

I was actually thinking something similar. I've been trying to decide how far back to cut the trunk as I'm not personally familiar with how well junipers heal over trunk cuts.

Any particular suggestions on how far down you'd cut, which branch you'd take it down to as the new leader?
Albo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by Albo »

There’s definitely a tree in there. For me, if it was mine I’d change the planting angle and take the top off at the red line and do a Jin. I’d also shorten that lower Jin.
I like the first branch on the right. I’d then use that thick branch on the left to wire up into the new apex. You could go up as informal upright or even windswept to the left.

You have the Shari on the other side so that’s the front. This side was just easier for me to explain what I mean from the photos.

Just my two cents. Hope it helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Albo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Albo »

Actually, upon reviewing the photos I’d almost be inclined to make the current back the front anyway. Regardless of the Shari. But looking at photos and seeing it in person are very different things.
But regardless, I’d definitely be cutting it in half. That top half has done its job of thickening the base for you.

Once again, just my opinion.
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Post by Patmet »

Just my 2c worth here judging by the pictures. I agree you definitely need to get rid of a lot of that top section for the reasons stated.

If you did want to go down the route of bunjin/literati and it were my tree I would do the following;

Tilt on an angle and cut off most of that top section highlighted in red, but utilise the lower part as a jin and see how that looks (highlighted in white).

Wire some movement into the branch marked with yellow - may be part of future design or jinned off later. Wired and twisted branches make for intetesting jin.

Shorten the existing low jin considerably as it is a bit too long and skinny to be in proportion with the tree size.

And finally wire up the branch marked with blue as your new trunk line with some interesting twists and movement.

Just my thoughts on where I might go if it were my tree.
Screenshot_20231129_112237_Samsung Internet.jpg
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

I concur it needs shortening. Consider the top as a sacrifice. But don't be too hasty to cut it all off now. You have already removed a lot of foliage so don't go for the big chop just yet. You can remove a bit more so the tree puts resources into the lower sections. Make sure you leave some strong growing sections intact. Junipers don't like having all their growing tips removed. Unlike a deciduous tree, or strong growing broadleaf evergreen where you can cut off the growing tips and expect back budding, with junipers you need the to leave some growing tips intact.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus

Return to “Pines and Junipers”