JBP - Shohin branch selection

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
olicreighton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club

JBP - Shohin branch selection

Post by olicreighton »

Hi all,

I've got a couple of questions about the branches on a JBP I have acquired recently. It looks to have had its leader chopped in Winter, with lots of low branches left to develop a tree from.

I've started by removing a few of the top branches that weren't really doing much for the tree (leader or future branching). Really want the energy focused low down. I could probably remove the top branch - but have left it for now as it's not shading anything out.
IMG_5305-min.JPG
Given it's de-candling season, I figured I'd check if any are strong enough to be de-candled. So, I cleared out dead needles and removed a couple of very elongated branches with no needles low down. I then started de-candling - but I've stopped after cutting a couple, as I wanted some advice before making any dire mistakes.

Now, I know photos don't do a tree full credit, but just have a couple of questions to avoid future problems.

Question 1
Do I have to strictly de-candle to the old growth (1 - red) to stimulate dormant buds at the cut point OR can I cut halfway down the old growth (2 - blue) to keep the branch more compact?
Candle cut location-min.png

Question 2
There are some very short buds hiding underneath that I could focus on instead of the longer branches. Is this the preferred approach?
Might be hard to see in the photos. But here's the best I can get:
Low buds.JPG

I imagine this will take 2-3+ repots to get into an appropriate bonsai pot, as well as the final trunk chop. I will always put the trees health first, so not looking for a quick result. Here's some additional photos if anyone else has some extra thoughts.
front.JPG
tiny buds.jpg
IMG_5312-min.JPG

Merry Christmas and thanks to anyone that can assist.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Young, dumb and excited to contribute to this wonderful forum and the wider bonsai community.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Re: JBP - Shohin branch selection

Post by dansai »

Id be happy to cut back below the current seasons growth on young JBP as long as the needles below are healthy. If you cut just below the current candle you will most likely just get a bunch of buds just below where you cut. If you cut lower, you should get a number of new buds where healthy needles still exist. I find this a good option as it gives growing points at different locations that can be used rather than having to reduce a bunch down to 2. Either will work though.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

And if you are focusing on making this a small tree (Shohin) i'ld also be ok with reducing the pot size significantly on the next repot. I went from a similar sized pot down to small Bonsai pots in one hit with a few this year. A couple have been slow to get going again, but I didn't lose any.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
olicreighton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by olicreighton »

Thanks for the reply Dansai.

Interesting that you’ve done aggressive repotting. What you usually read is that you need to do it progressively with JBP. But it just goes to show how conflicting experiences can be in Bonsai (especially with different climates).

I’ll probably check out the root system next spring and make a decision from there.

I’m definitely intending on keeping it shohin size, hence why I want to keep the branches compact.

Hope your mid north coast travels go well!

Oli
Young, dumb and excited to contribute to this wonderful forum and the wider bonsai community.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

No problem chopping JBP below the current growth when required. That's the primary technique for getting fast thickening and still keeping the trees reasonably compact. I just did that to an older field grown JBP today. Some others I cut back to the older needles in early spring. One has been slow to respond but the other has some strong new shoots.
IMG_2030.jpg

We've already covered that older needles should be healthy and the trees well fed and generally healthy for best results.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
olicreighton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by olicreighton »

Hi Neil, that photo is extremely helpful, so thank you for sharing that.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

The recommendation to do repotting in stages is based on experiences of field grown or collected conifers that need to have the field soil removed and transition into a Bonsai substrate. Young trees that have been grown in counters exclusively are completely different. Generally you will have many more fine rots close to the trunk than you would with a field grown/collected tree. And young JBP are a very strong, vigorous tree.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”