My first time at a Bonsai Nursery

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: My first time at a Bonsai Nursery

Post by Nate.bonsai »

I just came across this inspo pic for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JimmyTheSkip
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Currently researching

Post by JimmyTheSkip »

Thanks for the tips everyone! Clearly I need to work on my ability to see what can be done. If I can make it look anything like that picture I will be a very happy bonsai owner. Shibui, I did worry about the lack of taper (and movement) in the extended branch. If I were to decide to get rid of it would you recommend that I leave it on for now as a sacrificial branch to try and help with trunk thickness or cut it off when I first style the tree?
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

As Feb is just around the corner, suggest you look on google images for more ideas on JBP literati.
Then wait for your workshop. Because the person running the workshop will be hands on with your trees and able to give you suggestions of what could be possible with the material of have bought.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Then wait for your workshop. Because the person running the workshop will be hands on with your trees and able to give you suggestions of what could be possible with the material of have bought.
Excellent suggestion. We can only see the 2D images so may not be picking up on some aspects of the trunk, branches, etc. Someone looking at it in 3D will have much better idea of possibilities that we've talked about and possibly some we have not even seen.
I did worry about the lack of taper (and movement) in the extended branch. If I were to decide to get rid of it would you recommend that I leave it on for now as a sacrificial branch to try and help with trunk thickness or cut it off when I first style the tree?
There's pros and cons for both.
Beware of thickening literati trunks too much. Most good literati trunks are slender. I can't get a good feel for the tree through images on the screen so not sure which way I would advise.
Cutting the excess off will allow the tree to put more effort into the remaining branches which are the ones you really want to develop. I've found that ramification develops much better after the competing sacrifice branches are gone.
No real right answer to whether to cut or leave.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JimmyTheSkip
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Currently researching

Post by JimmyTheSkip »

Thanks for the comments.

I have a beginner bonsai workshop booked in with Scott Martin (Bonsai Matsu) on Monday. I'm planning on taking this tree to him along with my other JBP and once I'm there I'll decide which one I want to work on there with him, and then take the other one with me to the Workshop at the club. I'm nervous but really looking forward to learning and creating bonsai! Seeing what others on the forum are able to do and imagine is very inspirational.
Matt_W_NZ
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Deciduous - maples, broadleafs. Melaleucas. JRPs
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Victoria, Victoria Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt_W_NZ »

Scott is a fantastic teacher, you’ll learn a lot and have a great time in the process.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”