Pyracantha

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
Leigh Taafe
Maverick
Maverick
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: NBPCA

Pyracantha

Post by Leigh Taafe »

For discussion.

Cheers,
Leigh.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
Leigh.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Re: Pyracantha

Post by kcpoole »

Oooh this is nice.

Tip prune the LH branch and top to define them somewhat tighter. Lose some of the hanging foliage to create some negative space and also above this branch to separate from the top canopy. Same treatment on the RH side as well and it is a winner I think:-)
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

The whole composition works very well I love the colour of the pot with it. I wonder if a oval pot about half the depth would suit the middle range trunk better, possibly a round corner square. It does seem to need more refinement though.
I read somewhere lately that as we read from left to right in the west a tree with movement in that direction gives a feeling of progression to us, a tree with movement in the opposite direction can be less inviting and give an impression of stalling (I think they used a better word) I was not thinking about it when viewing this tree but then it dawned on me it might be the feeling I was getting from the tree.

I have been meaning to bring up another issue I have noticed which is the ring of moss around the bases of trees surrounded by gravel. It seems to be very common in many trees I am viewing from Australia. I find it gives me a very unnatural feeling. I love moss but I would much rather see it arranged in the pot in a more natural setting.
Last edited by Bretts on April 30th, 2009, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Post by stymie »

soltan wrote:The whole composition works very well I love the colour of the pot with it.
And I was just thinking that the pot was too near to the foliage colour. :oops:
I love the pot but for this I would have gone orange or dull red/brown.
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Maybe I just love the pot :)
What do you think about an oval though?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Brad Loma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Brad Loma »

I would consider letting that long left side branch continue out and train down into a cascade perhaps. The picture doesnt really offer much in way of help towards design options. The pot (for mine) is wrong for the tree as it stands, colour and depth.
B.
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

Post by LLK »

Hi Leigh,
I really appreciate the initiative of encouraging more tree critique. Please don't take this wrongly, but I don't think that a good critique can be given unless the subject tree has been properly cleaned up and pruned. For ex., you probably have a reason for that overly heavy left bottom branch, which could become quite a feature, but how are we to tell?? Nice trunk, btw.! Should be a beaut bonsai, once it's been properly groomed.
I have been meaning to bring up another issue I have noticed which is the ring of moss around the bases of trees surrounded by gravel. It seems to be very common in many trees I am viewing from Australia. I find it gives me a very unnatural feeling. I love moss but I would much rather see it arranged in the pot in a more natural setting.

Hear hear! :) With knobs on.
The same remark was made by an overseas visitor, a bonsai veteran, a couple of years ago. Also, Colin Lewis mentions it somewhere online, saying that old soil between the surface roots, overgrown with moss, does not let the water penetrate properly and gives no idea of what the surface roots really are like and what care they need. He recommends a proper cleaning up, right up to the trunk, at every repotting.
And I was just thinking that the pot was too near to the foliage colour.
I love the pot but for this I would have gone orange or dull red/brown.
Agreed.

Lisa
ketutg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society

Post by ketutg »

i think this tree as well as some of the other recently posted trees would be a good candidate for 360 :D
marleeney
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs
Bonsai Age: 20

Post by marleeney »

Leigh I think all of your trees are beautiful. :P This pyracantha is just wonderful Driving through Campbelltown the place is a smorgesboard of pyracantha they are everywhere. Wish I had a shovel at the time!!
Great work
Marleeney :D
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned the big scar at the front of the base! I would like to see it either hollowed out completely, or grown over. just MHO.

JayC
Leigh Taafe
Maverick
Maverick
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: NBPCA

Post by Leigh Taafe »

Hi all,

Thanks for getting involved and throwing ideas around. That is exactly what I was hoping for.

I have posted pics of numerous trees, only a couple I would class as what I would be happy with, the rest were posted to invoke conversation and get ideas thrown around. So, when I posted this tree, I did not post it as something I am happy with.....I know it needs work, and I wanted everyone to discuss what needs to be done......not for my benefit, as I know what needs to be done in order to have it looking good enough for me to put on show, or even have a 360 pic done, but for veryone elses benefit. I have been posting pics of ordinary trees so that you could all have a crack at critiqueing the trees so that you could learn off each other.

So, when I post another tree for discussion, I will probably continue to pic stuff that I know needs work. Not much posting something that I am happy with, just so you can all say....."Great Tree! Its just how I would have it!"

By the way.....great comments by all - keep them coming. Of the trees that I have posted, that havent been sold or stolen, I will definately look at them with all comments in mind when I am ready to work on them again.

Cheers,
Leigh.
Cheers,
Leigh.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

JayC. wrote:I'm suprised nobody has mentioned the big scar at the front of the base! I would like to see it either hollowed out completely, or grown over. just MHO.

JayC
I was wondering when someone would notice the elephant in the room. This pyracantha is "Ruby Mound" which does heal up quicker than the standard Pyracantha but it would take a long time.

Leigh it needs some carving and should handle it very well.

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”