Wisteria Tree

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
marleeney
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs
Bonsai Age: 20

Wisteria Tree

Post by marleeney »

Could anyone please tell me how to style this wisteria it is large 78cm tall and needs help! Should it be cut and started again?
Thanks Marleeney :)
w4.JPG
w4.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Re: Wisteria Tree

Post by Asus101 »

one tip you need to know when styling wisteria. Dont style for looks in foliage, style to show the flowers. That is all you need to know ;)
Young and hostile but not stupid.
marleeney
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by marleeney »

Yes, I agree. This is a very tall wisteria and I wonder if I should reduce the size? :?
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Post by Jan »

I don't see the height as a provblem - it gives you the opportunity to style the tree to a weeping habit to showcase those blooms.

It could do with some more flare to the base - have a look in "Tips & Advice" on this forum - the thread about creating flat root spread the methods discussed will also result in a better flare in the trunk and you can decide to reduce the height depending on where you decide to build your new root base.

Have a look and see what you think,

Best of luck and keep us posted,

JanM.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

Trim only to the second or fourth nodes. You need to forget everything you know about bonsai perception with wisteria. You also ONLY show when in full flower (high potassium feed late summer to mid/late autumn). If I was to cut anything away I would cut back if there was any reverse taper. You dont want to cut too drastic as wisteria do not heal well at all, and will rot very fast. I have this trouble on some of my cuttings which will get fixed asap I hope.

Jan the only thing she can do is airlayer. Those methods wont work here.
marleeney
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by marleeney »

Thanks to both of you. Will take note. I agree that wisteria are only beautiful when in flower. I have no idea the colour of this one as I haven't had it long and bought it not in flower so it will be interesting to see what eventuates. Many thanks for taking the time to respond
Marleeney :D
marleeney
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by marleeney »

Asus what do you do for the rotting problem with your tree?
Marleeney :)
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

Well first I have to work out how in gods name am I going to get it out of its pot. Then Ill strip away the rotted sections and seal it with wood hardener.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Marleeny I think that is a very nice wisteria.
I have not given much thought to styling wisteria yet but if it where mine I would give it free rain to grow for a season before cutting it back any. This will give you time to get a feel for it in flower, I think most of that tree is usable.
It is hard to tell how deep that pot is from the pictures. Unless this is a pretty deep pot I would consider up sizing for a while to increase development. I am not sure why Asus thinks that planting on a flat tile will not help with wisteria so until that was clarified I would suggest a nice big wide pot with the wisteria planted over a tile to encourage lateral root growth to help with more flare at the bottom.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
marleeney
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by marleeney »

Thanks! Very good to know how to go about doing this. I have heard wisterias are prone to it as are bouiganvilleas?
Marleeney :)
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Generally you want the branches spreading out so the flowers can hand down and be appreciated.

Where we4 normally have our foliage pads with the foliage on top, With wisteria, the are upside down as the Flowers are the nice bit.

Leave lots of room below any branches and generally we look to only have 1 layer of branches as the lower ones get shaded too much.
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Have been told that you allways trim wisteria on the 16th December back to the 2nd Node

Do not know why but that was what I was told
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
marleeney
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by marleeney »

Thanks everyone and Soltan I think it is a nice wisteria. It hasn't flowered so keep your fingers crossed for this year. I must say you are all very nice to reply and give me such informative info. The pot is 44cm in width and is 18cm in height. I think your right and I should pot it in a bigger one. I love the wisteria bonsai. I think I would like a backyard full of them
Many thanks
Marleeney :D
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

soltan wrote:Marleeny I think that is a very nice wisteria.
I have not given much thought to styling wisteria yet but if it where mine I would give it free rain to grow for a season before cutting it back any. This will give you time to get a feel for it in flower, I think most of that tree is usable.
It is hard to tell how deep that pot is from the pictures. Unless this is a pretty deep pot I would consider up sizing for a while to increase development. I am not sure why Asus thinks that planting on a flat tile will not help with wisteria so until that was clarified I would suggest a nice big wide pot with the wisteria planted over a tile to encourage lateral root growth to help with more flare at the bottom.
You should have a deep pot to start with. Wisteria does not follow the same anything really that a normal bonsai does. It have very vigorous roots and loves deep potting. Restricting that growth will not help the tree. Think about it, mine grew up to 6 inches a night, and it has filled a 20 gallon drum in less than 9 months. That tile will be eaten faster than a fat chick and a platter of cupcakes.
They are also slow to thicken and take many years to get any decent size, but then you have the issue that you cant remove that growth because it will never heal.

If you want a root flare, airlayer it. if it can send roots on a cutting three times my size, it can airlayer as easy as that..... Just give it room.
Oh they love water.... reallllly love water.

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”