Azalea jackpot - replanting advice

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
greggles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Azalea jackpot - replanting advice

Post by greggles »

Hi everyone,

So just bought these two azaleas for a great price today. Feel like I hit the jackpot as they are big! In pots they come upto about waist height.

Been looking for mature plants as these will be planted in ground for a japanese garden I'm making rather than bonsai. Hoping to get some advice regarding the plants and repotting.

1) Am I right to assume the second photo is not actually a azalea but rather a gardenia radicans?

2) The azalea is coming to the end of flowering so should be trimmed back right? My main concern about trimming it is there doesnt seem to be alot of foliage below the flowers. Will this be an issue?

3) any tips for moving these into the ground?

4) am I crazy to use these in my japanese garden rather than as a bonsai? :p thinking of it but wife wont have a bar of it.

Thanks everyone

Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greggles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Azalea jackpot - replanting advice

Post by greggles »

Try this again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Azalea transplant really well. Roots are very fine so just straight out of the pot and in the ground with no root work will usually be OK but they are also very resilient to root pruning so you can cut as much root off as you are comfortable with at transplant and they should still grow well after.
Any problems after root pruning are not usually related to the root work. If azalea does not like the soil, water or aspect no amount of TLC will keep it alive.

Azalea can be trimmed back as far as you like any time of year. They will sprout prolifically from bare or older wood. Regular hard pruning is used to maintain azalea size and shape. Advice is to seal any larger cuts to minimise dieback.

Large trunk azaleas are reasonably hard to obtain but the trunk still needs shape and character to be good bonsai. Most old, thick azaleas have terrible trunks. You will need to assess this one to decide bonsai potential and weigh that up against a happy life with azaleas in Japanese garden. Azaleas transplant very easily from the garden to a pot so an azalea in the ground is not lost to bonsai, just postponed.

I find it diffcult to distinguish between azalea nad gardenia until flowers open but both are treated almost the same so ID is not critical.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gordonb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Hamilton Bonsai Club

Post by gordonb »

You could always try a compromise - the gardenia is multi-trunked, doesn't lend itself (in the photo anyway) to bonsai; the azalea trunk has some movement, though - how about one for each?
:?:
Gordon - Thames, New Zealand

"On the other hand, I have different fingers."
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

My Gardenia leaves are a little smoother and shinier than any Azalea I've ever owned. That looks to me to be more like a fuzzy Azalea leaf...
I've always done well with advice from shibui, so reckon you can't go wrong with what he's said.

I saw this blog last night that might help https://bonsaitonight.com/2019/08/20/to ... i-healthy/

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”