Wistful Wisteria

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Wistful Wisteria

Post by MJL »

I have had this wisteria for numerous years. I have always struggled with it ... it had exposed roots and reverse taper; it was just a weird unit. Perhaps a bit like the person typing this post. I don't know why but I have no historical photos of it. Over the years I have tried to make it into something that I can look at without shaking my head but in truth, it's been neglected. It's never flowered. (If I was that tree - I wouldn't flower either - why put on a display for an owner that doesn't care.... or perhaps put on a show, so I do.... I'm rambling again!!)

Anyway - yesterday and into the early eve - it got some attention. I have used a rock to 'hide' an ugly bulge in the trunk. The straight trunk above the bulge still bothers me and I probably don't need the right hand branch to extend that far but I am keeping it as present as I can imagine it being quite nice with foliage and flowers in a graceful weep. Perhaps it's a feature .... that said, I'll likely cut that branch back to the first limb for better balance.

In truth - it's probably an air-layer situated above the rock - to remove the straight trunk. Perhaps that's the final phase if this deign doesn't work. Here 'tis below. Photo's from yesterday, last night when I finished and then, in this morning's light rain.
IMG_6482.jpg
IMG_6483.jpg
IMG_6482 (1).jpg
IMG_6488.jpg
IMG_6490.jpg
IMG_6491.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Kyle Goldcoast1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig & Serissa
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: Wistful Wisteria

Post by Kyle Goldcoast1 »

Hi MJL
Nice looking Wisteria. I agree with the lower right branch looking a little too extended for the taper. I recently did some work on mine that had the same sort of straight trunk that yours has. Thankfully mine isn't too thick and I could bend a curve in the trunk to give it some flare.

Yours looks a little thicker than mind but any chance you could put a bend in the straight trunk? Here is a few shots of mine before setting a curve and after bending and putting more angle in the repot. The position I'm holding it in first pic was the original angle in the pot before I repotted him.

Excuse my temporary work bench/bin :lol:

Before bending
20190822_134501 1.jpg
20190822_134508 1.jpg
20190822_141317 1.jpg

After Bending and tilting
20190822_141615 1.jpg
20190822_141255 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

I really like the use of the rock to hide the flaw Mark, it doesn't dominate the tree, or take your eye away from the lines at all, just obscures something that would be a detriment.

Only thing i'd be looking at doing is what you point out yourself, and shortening that primary branch. In flower i think being so far away it might still look disconnected from the rest of the tree. It unbalances it a little, with all the other growth nice and compact to the tree, each just extending far enough to hang a raceme of flowers that will become part of a really pretty display.
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Thanks Kyle and Tim.

Yep, I reckon I'll remove the right hand extension. Kyle, in terms of bending the trunk above the rock - pretty difficult - it's two-fingers wide and not that long. A clamp may do it but I don't think so.

I'll keep working on creating a nice compact tree.

Cheers for your thoughts.

Mark
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Really just a tree in a pot. No ramification but gee there's something pretty about the fresh growth and the slender, curving branches. I'll continue to imagine what this may be in ten years. Oh, and I still haven't cut that right brach off ... I did bend it to within an inch of it's life though.
IMG_7007.jpeg
IMG_7008.jpeg
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

I thought I would add to this thread with another Wisteria - dug from my garden recently. And ask for your collective help, please.

This Japanese White wisteria, with a trunk about the size of my wrist, was growing up a brick wall near our front door. It never really worked well in that position and my wife decided it was better G.O.R.N - gone. :)

It was a hassle to rip it off the wall and in truth, I dug it out to chuck it out. Then I thought ..."hang on a minute". I trimmed the roots, banged in it a training pot with some bonsai soil and crossed my fingers. Seems crossing fingers is a sound technique. It is going nuts.

Now ... it is a straight trunk - I actually quite like the shape (is it reverse taper though?) ... it has a feminine form which I think could suit an upright weeping bonsai. Below are some photos. Any design thoughts from the community? And also, should I cut back the new growth to encourage a more early ramification and if so, where best on such shoots.

Cheers in advance.

Mark

PS - Ryan .... I had to move the pines as a hungry rodent was eating some on the new growth ... I have moved them back now. They have been back two weeks and I have noticed roots shoots already hitting the soil. I think, if I did not move them they would have been more vigorous ... if they survived the rodent that is. :(

Probable front - less scars
IMG_7098.jpeg
IMG_7099.jpeg
Probable back - more scars
IMG_7100.jpeg
IMG_7101.jpeg
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Howdy, I was reading another thread about compound leaves (on a Desert Ash) and trimming them back to 2-3 leaflets. Rather than Hijack that thread I thought I'd bring the questions back here .... the question being ... Would trimming compound leaves work on Wisteria (and Jacaranda) too?

With both Wisteria and Jacaranda I generally cut the tips/shoots back and they sprout profusely from where they are cut - see a recent example below:
IMG_7304.jpeg
. However, maybe I am missing a trick and should be cutting the compound leaves back to 2-3 leaflet pairs too? Perhaps this would create even more back-budding and/or ramification.

Any thoughts?
MikeK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by MikeK »

MJL wrote: November 13th, 2019, 6:36 am Howdy, I was reading another thread about compound leaves (on a Desert Ash) and trimming them back to 2-3 leaflets. Rather than Hijack that thread I thought I'd bring the questions back here .... the question being ... Would trimming compound leaves work on Wisteria (and Jacaranda) too?
I'd suggest getting your hands on a copy of Ray Macaway's wisteria guide (RayM on the forum), it answers all your questions (and more)

The Bimer club website seems to have a a slightly older version (he's on v5 now)

FWIW, last weekend I removed all the old flower spikes and trimmed back to 2 leaflets on mine
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Agree about Ray's Wisteria pdf!

If the plant were mine I'd tilt the trunk somewhat. Not only because the flowers, (if they ever show up,) look prettier cascading down below the foliage, but because I'm not a fan of straight trunks... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Thanks Mike (and Ray) and Mel, the link and info is very helpful.

Mel, I am not sure where I'll take the one that I moved from the garden; I like the idea of tilting the trunk... it's current state is the result of me simply rescuing it from my own bin and I just banged it in a pot. That said, I am not sure if it is feasible but I like the idea of a 360 degree umbrella where all the limbs branch out from the centre and the flowers hang off the edge fo the umbrella. Does that make any sense or as the Stone's might say: "Just your 'magination, runnin' away with you." :lol:
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I like the idea of a 360 degree umbrella where all the limbs branch out from the centre and the flowers hang off the edge fo the umbrella
Go for it! Wisteria always do what you ask of them. :lol: :lol: :lol:
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Mark, be a little careful about symmetrical umbrellas. Leaning one way or another gives dynamic movement to the design. Symmetrical can look "stuck" - it goes neither one way or the other.

Just my 2c.,

Gavin
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

This stump went coco bananas over spring and summer ... I cut it back numerous times and this is how it ended the growing season.

I imagine I should lift the pot in winter to trim the roots that are no doubt in the ground, through the base of the pot. Given I have read that wisterias don’t mind being pot bound I guess I should keeping in the same pot for another year? If any of those last two statements are not ideal - feel free to correct my intentions.

Also - can anyone with a good eye for such things suggest how I should
work this stump. I am a little lost ... I was going to go a straight up broom but it has been suggested I should lean it one way or t’other - I love some design inspiration please. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

No idea when it comes to wisteria but the pines are nice! :D
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

Jack up the right side by like 20 degrees.

Wisteria are grown for the flowers, don’t worry about ramification.

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”