Flowering Plum styling

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
PeachSlices
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything that flowers
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club, Bonsai Society of Sydney, School of Bonsai

Flowering Plum styling

Post by PeachSlices »

I went to the Bonsai Open on the central coast got there around the time it opened and checked out the sales tables. I saw this tree but i couldnt see how i'd style it so i kept passing on it about 10 times. then i showed it to my brother and he got all geed up and bought it. last night he goes i'm going to give it to you for your birthday, im think thanks but this is going to be a mission.

initially i wanted a potential twin trunk tree but decide to turn the first branch into a branch instead of another trunk. hope you like my vid cheers

https://youtu.be/nJgmWG7gAYk
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: Flowering Plum styling

Post by MJL »

Hey PS - thanks for posting. What a cool present from your brother. Interesting stock that inspires creativity. I look forward to watching the progression.

As an aside, in future would it possible or even desirable (perhaps not) to poke a branches under the main arch and perhaps through that hole in the stump... almost like the tree is rapping it's arms around its old soul... sorry, did I just crap on ... probably. :palm: I am not sure it would be desirable just an idea, they way my weird head works.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

:lost: yeah I agree that will be difficult to style. Not impossible. Be interested to see what others have to say
PeachSlices
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club, Bonsai Society of Sydney, School of Bonsai

Post by PeachSlices »

MJL wrote: September 10th, 2019, 5:47 pm Hey PS - thanks for posting. What a cool present from your brother. Interesting stock that inspires creativity. I look forward to watching the progression.

As an aside, in future would it possible or even desirable (perhaps not) to poke a branches under the main arch and perhaps through that hole in the stump... almost like the tree is rapping it's arms around its old soul... sorry, did I just crap on ... probably. :palm: I am not sure it would be desirable just an idea, they way my weird head works.
i did think of that but its so brittle i guess if i repot it i could bring it under the dead wood but its going to snap

Simon
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Nice material to get you thinking :lost:
Firstly, fruit wood rots very quickly so make sure to seal it or you will loose that feature. During repots take care because the dead wood can become very brittle after awhile, especially at ground level. Below is what I see...
:imo: To me it looks a bit too tall. I would as you are counting the pads in your vid cut off above pad four. Making pad four the new crown. Also even though your main trunk is dead a tree growing would mimic the original trunk line, as the growing conditions light/wind would be the same as the dead trunk lived thru. Unless of course it is competing for light with a live trunk with leaves etc... which would then send it in another direction searching for light. :imo: With regards a preferred front I like 2 but I would turn the tree a little anti clockwise to see more of the dead trunk feature. (Front more from the corner of the pot). Your 2 front as you have it is a bit flat by turning just a bit creates more interest. To me anyway :imo: nice material look forward to see how it develops. :cool:

Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
PeachSlices
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeachSlices »

KIRKY wrote: September 11th, 2019, 8:34 am Nice material to get you thinking :lost:
Firstly, fruit wood rots very quickly so make sure to seal it or you will loose that feature. During repots take care because the dead wood can become very brittle after awhile, especially at ground level. Below is what I see...
:imo: To me it looks a bit too tall. I would as you are counting the pads in your vid cut off above pad four. Making pad four the new crown. Also even though your main trunk is dead a tree growing would mimic the original trunk line, as the growing conditions light/wind would be the same as the dead trunk lived thru. Unless of course it is competing for light with a live trunk with leaves etc... which would then send it in another direction searching for light. :imo: With regards a preferred front I like 2 but I would turn the tree a little anti clockwise to see more of the dead trunk feature. (Front more from the corner of the pot). Your 2 front as you have it is a bit flat by turning just a bit creates more interest. To me anyway :imo: nice material look forward to see how it develops. :cool:

Cheers
Kirky
We did look over the tree in my club meeting yesterday and the rot was a big topic. i could lime sulfur it but the white wont look crash hot i don't think. there are some soft spots but as my friend said all prunus rot. i'm researching how to tackle the rot and methods of preserving the deadwood but not making it so white i've seen on graham potter sometimes he mixes ash into the lime sulfur.

Height wise the tree might fix itself because its snapped in half under the raffia. i tried to bend it like Beckham but i think i went to far we don't know til we know but for now i'm just going to leave it as it adds leverage to the lean of the branch.

the clubbies voted that front 2 was the front.

cheers for the advice
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

I just noted on your video you are asking for thoughts on front 1 or 2 ... 2 for me but I reckon this angle.
Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 8.22.56 pm.jpg
Why? I think there's more harmony with this view; the angles aren't fighting each other as much so there's less visual tension. Having said that, I am sure it is different looking at it in the flesh. Enjoy the journey. :) As I said, in my original post - an interesting tree, a cool present and one to keep an eye on as the years pass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
PeachSlices
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeachSlices »

MJL wrote: September 11th, 2019, 8:39 pm I just noted on your video you are asking for thoughts on front 1 or 2 ... 2 for me but I reckon this angle.Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 8.22.56 pm.jpg Why? I think there's more harmony with this view; the angles aren't fighting each other as much so there's less visual tension. Having said that, I am sure it is different looking at it in the flesh. Enjoy the journey. :) As I said, in my original post - an interesting tree, a cool present and one to keep an eye on as the years pass.
yeah that'll be a nice front too. i initially went for front 1 before i styled it because it had the feature but it made you look behind the feature to see the branch behind. will give the next progress shot when the wire comes off.

cheers
simon
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Hi Simon, the Sulphur wont help. What you want is something like Earls wood hardener. Where you state you have some soft spots already clean those out back to firm wood then apply the hardener to the dead wood.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
PeachSlices
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeachSlices »

KIRKY wrote: September 12th, 2019, 7:53 am Hi Simon, the Sulphur wont help. What you want is something like Earls wood hardener. Where you state you have some soft spots already clean those out back to firm wood then apply the hardener to the dead wood.
Cheers
Kirky
i will the tree a once over and see what i can do, is the wood thats under rotting wood normally dead?

simon
PeachSlices
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeachSlices »

i bought earl's wood hardener and i'm doing some tests. see how it looks. trees starting to get more leaves.

thanks for looking
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

I have been following this post with interest however I forgot to say "welcome to the plum gang".
Everyone should have at least one plum in their collection, its sort of like a rule!
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PeachSlices
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeachSlices »

Watto wrote: September 26th, 2019, 4:52 pm I have been following this post with interest however I forgot to say "welcome to the plum gang".
Everyone should have at least one plum in their collection, its sort of like a rule!
i got 6 mumes do they count?

i got 5 light pink and 1 dark pink. not as meaty as this plum.

thank you for welcoming me to the gang.

Simon

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”