Meditative Azaleas

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Meditative Azaleas

Post by MJL »

Howdy,

A cool, sunny day in Melbourne today and I went to my step-dad's joint to help repot one of his azaleas. That's it below. When it was flowering and the rear view of the roots upon repot today ...
IMG_0178.jpeg
IMG_7212.jpeg
I've said before that I have more success with Azaleas in the garden than as Bonsai. I have a some small trees though. A few Shohin and numerous Mame and I decided to repot them while at dad's too. It was a relaxing day and I don't mind saying we were both thinking of Rudi (recently passed) and Marlene from YVBS as we went about our business today.

The little Mame's are enjoyable to grow - some even have have little sacrifice branches. All the trees are nothin' special but keep on trying, I will.

They were all too wet and many pot-bound - as this Shohin-sized one shows below. I am happy with how an early attempt at a root-over-rock is kind of working too.
IMG_7218.jpeg
IMG_7219.jpeg
IMG_7228.jpeg
They are all now in a more free-draining mix. I have added some Azalea osmocote too.
IMG_7225.jpeg

Below is a close-up of the Shohin-sized tree on the left. It's about to burst into flower (white).
IMG_7227.jpeg

And MelB just informed me that this little accent plant is from the viola family - colloquially called John Jomp Up!
IMG_7223.jpeg
The Mame-sized will spend summer on a tray lined with stone sitting above water and next to some Johnny's. :) These little guys die in a hurry if allowed to dry out but alas they can't sit in wet either ... I hope this situation will be an effective home under dappled side during summer.
IMG_7226.jpeg

Anyway - a relaxing and somewhat meditative day. :yes:

Cheers,

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”