Urban Yamadori Azaleas

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
BirchMan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop WA

Urban Yamadori Azaleas

Post by BirchMan »

These are three large azaleas I've dug this year.

The first was dug in July and is shooting well now that it has warmed up. I've tried to make it a 'close view' clump/forest with emphasis on the woody nebari mounds - I'll endeavour to maintain moss around this base for its lifetime to enhance these characteristics. This tree flowers white.

The second one was dug last weekend, and presents more as a chunky, powerful spreading tree. I'll work this one more in the vein of a powerful old oak and so the main trunks will be reduced quite a bit after a year or two. The left couple particularly have long straight sections before they fork, so could present some challenges.

The third one was also dug last weekend. This is more upright than the other two, so i'll seek to make a 'natural' looking tree. The base flares quite well and i may tilt the planting angle next time to exaggerate the sweeping movement up the trunk and out into the canopy.

These second two have red flowers. All are about 40 years old.

Tips welcome.

ps apologies for the sideways photos. I find editing, manipulating and even taking photos to be a diffcult chore that prevents me from posting many of my trees :palm: and i'm a 38 year old man that works on computers all day! :palm: :palm:
20191110_102512 (Small).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: Urban Yamadori Azaleas

Post by MJL »

Hey Birchman,

They are going to fun and challenging. No need to rush - I reckon sit, stare, walk around and see what creative designs emerge over the weeks and months as they sprout and settle into their new pots. I imagine you may need to reduce the number trunks even further but which ones? Hard to tell from photos ...

Here is three pictures I sourced that might provide a catalyst/stimulus for further thought about design of each of your three trees...

The tree below moves in one direction... perhaps your first tree may be a raft of trunks that move in a similar direction?
Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 9.04.12 pm.jpeg
This next tree has an interesting spreading lower branch .... perhaps like the second tree
Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 9.13.05 pm.jpeg
And just something akin to your last tree
Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 9.06.05 pm.jpeg
Enjoy the journey ... I look forward to seeing where these go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

NIce collecting :-)

Do not be in a hurry to work them, Remove obvious extra bits but largly leave them for a year or more before doing too much on them

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
BirchMan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop WA

Post by BirchMan »

Thanks guys.
Particularly thanks MJL for taking the time to give me some alternative ideas. I hadn't thought of introducing some windswept style to the first one, but i could easily split it up. There should be plenty of roots to use next repot but the nebari 'pad' was kind of fused together so splitting might result in some rough cut edges.

I'll definitely keep this thread updated - hopefully as the trees improve so will my photography! :tounge:

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”