Plum air layer

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Plum air layer

Post by greg27 »

I'm a huge fan of Watto's amazing plum tree (https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/view ... 32&t=27791), so I decided to attempt to shamelessly copy it, beginner-style, more to see how I went than anything!

I air layered a plum tree I have growing in my back yard a couple of months ago, and chopped it off a couple of weeks ago after the endless rolls of heatwaves were over. It seems like it has a mass of roots in its pot which is nice.

Just this morning I noticed a nice surprise - it's well and truly confused about what season it is!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Plum air layer

Post by shibui »

Well done on the successful layer. Not sure what you are planning with such a straight trunk though :lost:

It is not unusual for flowering trees to produce a few flowers at the end of summer. There are some wisterias flowering here (garden) at the moment.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

shibui wrote: February 24th, 2020, 6:45 pm Not sure what you are planning with such a straight trunk though
This one's definitely more about the air layer attempt than anything, but I'll see what I can make out of it to keep the experiments going.

The parent tree (and the two others I have, purchased and planted at the same time) have only ever flowered in spring so it struck me as unusual, but the weather's been all over the place so who knows.

Now that I've taken my photo would it be worth removing the flowers so energy goes towards growth? The parent does produce some fruit but not a lot.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I don't think one flower is going to exhaust the tree.
out of season flowers don't usually set fruit but feel free to take it off if you think it might be fertilised.

I guessed you may have been honing skills rather than producing fantastic bonsai potential. Trees like these may never produce show stopping bonsai but they are great for learning and practicing techniques. I can see some branch development and some carving practice coming up :tu2:
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”