Dwarf pomegranate

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle/juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

Dwarf pomegranate

Post by PWC »

I have a Dwarf pomegranate that i picked up earlier this year, it has started to flower, is it better for the progress of the tree to remove the flowers? It has grown strongly throughout spring and summer as have the cuttings I took. Will leaving the flowers and eventually fruit slow things down significantly.

This being my first flowering tree i'm not sure what is the right approach to take with this one, I looked at the few old threads but didn't see much in regard to what action was preferable.

Any advice appreciated.
Peter.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Dwarf pomegranate

Post by Watto »

I would recommend enjoying the flowers, but don't let it form any fruit. The best of both worlds.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I have not done ant testing to confirm but general concensus is that flowers and, especially fruit take lots of resources. That means resources that could go into building branches and trunk are being wasted (from your point of view) and it is probable that you'll get less growth as result.
Even though they look nice I usually remove flowers from developing trees. Short term sacrifice for longer term gain.
If you must have the pretty flowers at least remove them as they fade so it cannot set fruits.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PWC »

Watto wrote: February 27th, 2020, 7:03 pm I would recommend enjoying the flowers, but don't let it form any fruit. The best of both worlds.
I was interested to see how they would turn out they are unusual.
Thanks for your thoughts.
shibui wrote: February 27th, 2020, 7:08 pm Even though they look nice I usually remove flowers from developing trees. Short term sacrifice for longer term gain.
If you must have the pretty flowers at least remove them as they fade so it cannot set fruits.
It makes sense they would reduce the energy for growth, I'll just leave one on to see how it looks.
Thanks for the response.
Peter.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

I see no harm in keeping the flowers and even a fruit on a tree you have just acquired, enjoy it! The amount of growth you will lose will be minimal. These trees are deciduous the the growth will start slowing down soon anyway. Come late Autumn remove any formed fruit and trim back to your style. Come spring it will fire up and start pushing growth feed and your on your way. Next year once it flowers you can decide if you want to keep flowers or cut developing flower buds off for more ramification and growth.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PWC »

KIRKY wrote: February 28th, 2020, 6:42 am I see no harm in keeping the flowers and even a fruit on a tree you have just acquired, enjoy it! The amount of growth you will lose will be minimal. These trees are deciduous the the growth will start slowing down soon anyway. Come late Autumn remove any formed fruit and trim back to your style. Come spring it will fire up and start pushing growth feed and your on your way. Next year once it flowers you can decide if you want to keep flowers or cut developing flower buds off for more ramification and growth.
Cheers
Kirky
Kirky, I've decided to leave a couple on to see how they develop. I have no firm plan for it's future as yet and will make some decision on style in winter after it's lost it's leaves.

Thanks
Peter.
Peter.

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”