Prunus persica - no so peachy

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
SquatJar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society, VNBC

Re: Prunus persica - no so peachy

Post by SquatJar »

who cares if it doesn't comply with the accepted norms that make an attractive bonsai. Its a cool AF potted tree. Will look amazing in flower, especially when that bark consumes more of the branches. Fingers crossed the budding is a sign of a healthy tree and not one stressed and near death
Life's too short for boring pots
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Thanks SqJ - I think it’s a sign of health - an early sign of spring - the roots seemed quite healthy and abundant, which was a relief! Hope, I will. Image

It's also worth noting that I cut off two of the three thick ugly roots that came off the trunk at near right angles... (i.e - the roots on the left in the early photos.) I nearly got rid of the third aerial root but it currently works as it looks like it is propping up the tree (I reckon anyway ;) ) and I like the way it broadens the base somewhat ... that said, I can see that being moved in future too... I did not want to go too hard on this repot.

We'll see way the future brings.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
SquatJar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society, VNBC

Post by SquatJar »

I like the root youve left too. In time as it grows it might thicken and lessen the big gap, or you might choose to embrace it and continue a shari up from the gap and make it a feature. Either way I reckon it's best to leave it be for quite some time
Life's too short for boring pots
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

It has drama, grace and balance the way you have set it up - who cares what you call it? Check out some of the old P. mume in Japan - they are almost all not "traditionally" styled, but they are rightly admired by all.

Enjoy the next twenty years,

Gavin
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

I agree wholeheartedly with Gavin. I find that with most of the flowering trees they wont ramify how you want them too, or the leaf size wont reduce. Style them how you like and enjoy the flowers. At the end of the day thats what counts. I have never taken a flowering tree to a show and had anyone say anything about the style its always the flowers people see and appreciate. Look at the old mume their style in a lot of them is long since gone ravaged by years and dead wood. They have their own dramatic style and I personally like that. Mark enjoy your tree its a beaut and I like the pot too :tu:
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Spurred on by KD’s recent update - just a quick note to record verdant new growth after a substantive root trim and repot. Lovely but huge leaves as already discussed. If I can get it to flower next year, I’ll be a happy man. Excuse the photo insitu - could not be bothered moving pot. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

As noted initially mate, don’t stress the big leaves, it’s only about developing a nice structure to hold the flowers, and if you find the big leaves are intolerable let me know, I’ll give it a good home :lol: :whistle:
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

I’ll second that! Nice one Mark enjoy the little leaves on your Elms ;)
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Hey team… a couple of years on … last year one lonely flower…
this year, around seven.

I trim pretty hard season to encourage ramification - I’m not sure if that helps or hinders flowering but… I like where this is heading … it’s good fun to tend. Image

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I trim pretty hard season to encourage ramification - I’m not sure if that helps or hinders flowering
Peaches flower on shoots that grew last summer. Pruning hard to encourage ramification is OK early in the growing season but if you really want lots of flowers it is probably best not to prune too hard late summer then cut back harder after spring flowers like callistemon, azalea, etc.

The more ramification you can develop the shorter each new summer shoot will tend to be which leads to less pruning and more flowers.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

MJL wrote: May 26th, 2020, 6:02 pm
I fell in love

But.... in reality...

It’s a Bonsai’
Hi Mark , I hope you don’t mind but I edited your original post from this thread to bring it up to date . Looking good after only two years .
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Ha! Sno - you made me go back and read my original ramblings - and my gosh … I do tend to ramble!! And thank you … I guess it is a bonsai - as opposed to “not a bonsai’s bum… “

On an unrelated note - the pandemic and lockdowns locally somehow negatively affected my enjoyment of the hobby - for many people. it may have been the reverse… regardless …. now we are coming out the other side my enjoyment is ratcheting up again… I was never going to give it away … I just lost a few plant through neglect and now … as spring arrives again - I am enjoying this wonderful hobby and this form again.

And Rory’s ‘natural’ comp also gave me a shot in the arm too.

And again … I ramble!

PS - along with bonsai - and guitar - and golf … picked up chess as a hobby too … now I play (poorly) and collect a few chess pieces and I’m starting a woodturning course soon too. Work is busy - along with a wonderful family and friends / it’s nice to have a few hobbies to distract one’s mind from the stresses of life too.

TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

You’re knocking it out of the park with this tree Mark, seems like a lifetime ago pre-covid we were discussing it when you found it at the nursery. I’ve been back there multiple times looking for stock and never seen anything like it there again. Now it’s all uniform standard stuff you’d find anywhere.

I hear you about losing interest and finding it again. the whole scenario seemed to be ideal for better care of our trees but I know the jam definitely got sucked out of my donut in that time.

I think there is a balancing point of enough trees to keep itchy hands busy, but not so many you feel overwhelmed or like it’s a chore. Especially if your interests change or you find yourself not enjoying certain trees or species anymore.

Hopefully you didn’t lose any really special trees!
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Hi Mark . The last couple of years have been a roller coaster for me too . I know I don’t want to keep going the way I’ve been going . I don’t know how to change and at times I’ve felt the bonsai have been holding me back . I have got far too many trees :palm: and my watering system is basically me on the end of hose which at times can be very boring .
But then .
I have to deal with a lot (to me anyway ) of different people which for an introvert like me can get stressful and I find hiding in my forest of bonsai keeps me sane .
There is something really special when you glance at one of your trees and you see something new that you hadn’t noticed before . Like the delicate pink flower on the end of a branch which will be gone in a day or so till next year .
Cheers Craig

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”