Ume Advice Needed. It never sleeps.....

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: Ume Advice Needed. It never sleeps.....

Post by melbrackstone »

I think it is, yes
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

It maybe more a fruiting Mume variety verses the deciduous varieties we have had previously.
Like ornamental cherries grown for blossoms, they really don’t produce fruit like fruiting cherries. It would appear its a new Mume variety on the market now. :imo:
So it will depend what you are after fruit or blossoms and how well the fruiting tree will allow itself to be bonsai.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
yumcha1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: your mama
Bonsai Age: 20

Post by yumcha1 »

I never understood the fascination that people had with the flowering apricot until I managed to find one. They are not much to look at (particularly when young) during the growing season - big leaves, tricky to ramify, doesn't back bud well, branches are brittle, branch dieback if all leaves are removed, cuttings don't strike well, air layering is difficult etc..., BUT when they flower in the winter they are spectacular and the scent is quite unique, I can see why they are so highly sought after. It's too bad that they are so expensive and hard to find.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

My garden plant ones are all about to come into flower. For scent I can say the white ‘Alboplena’ is excellent.

I’ll be taking heaps of cuttings this year from all the different colours, but it will be a decade or so before they are worth anything to anyone!
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
longd_au
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: None

Post by longd_au »

yumcha1 wrote: June 17th, 2020, 8:34 pm I never understood the fascination that people had with the flowering apricot until I managed to find one. They are not much to look at (particularly when young) during the growing season - big leaves, tricky to ramify, doesn't back bud well, branches are brittle, branch dieback if all leaves are removed, cuttings don't strike well, air layering is difficult etc..., BUT when they flower in the winter they are spectacular and the scent is quite unique, I can see why they are so highly sought after. It's too bad that they are so expensive and hard to find.
Beautiful....
MIne is definitely not one of these ....
One thing I noticed is that they really don't heal well. You can see it from one of my picture....it never callused over.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Dennis
A journey full of experiments

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”