Camellia advice

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Camellia advice

Post by treeman »

cdk_aus wrote: June 25th, 2022, 5:23 pm I found a sasanqua camelia I might try to Bonsai. The variety is transnokoensis.
It has very small flower buds and I suspect the flowers will be small, but the leaves are already very small on my 30cm high cutting.

Now has anyone tried this? As I understand them ramification of camellias like sinensis, is successful and is the basis of making lots of leaves for tea, but can the sasanqua and in particular this cultivar work for bonsai?

Is there a sasanqua that stands out as the best ?

Chris
Transnokensis is a species and not a sasanqua which is a different species entirely. It will be slightly more delicate than sasanqua to grow but not much. Just continue to cut the new growth after it has put on about 6 or 8 leaves for a few years, worrying neither about shape, wiring or flowers. Then have a close look at your tree and start to shape it as you see fit. Make sure you use an acidic medium. To my horror I bought an expensive ''Australian Standard'' potting mix the other day with a pH of 8!! Camellias prefer 4.5 to 5 which you will have to make yourself.
As for the ''best'' sasanqua. I rather like Yuleltide. Flowers a bit large but very beautiful. There are a few with smaller flowers which I find rather dull.
Yesterday I pollinated some flowers of lutchuensis with Sasanqua Yuletide pollen......
Mike
cdk_aus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by cdk_aus »

Thanks Mike. I love forums and this one is no exception. As it happens I do have a soil pH kit so I will make sure the pH is right.
As I recollect camellia has very much a surface root system, but its fine and dense, so is it too much to expect good nebari with camellia bonsai?
Bayside , Melbourne, rarely a frost.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

cdk_aus wrote: June 28th, 2022, 7:55 pm Thanks Mike. I love forums and this one is no exception. As it happens I do have a soil pH kit so I will make sure the pH is right.
As I recollect camellia has very much a surface root system, but its fine and dense, so is it too much to expect good nebari with camellia bonsai?
No it's not too much but you have to start with young material and train the roots right from the start and it will take a long time.
Mike

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”