Flowering quince

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
Trimmy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Flowering quince

Post by Trimmy »

A random plant popped up in my garden a few years ago. I assumed it was just a weed. I was about to chop it out but now my plant ID app tells me it's flowering quince. Have I gotten lucky here or do these tend to be weedy?
Trimmy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Trimmy »

Daluke wrote: September 19th, 2022, 3:34 pm Clump - they send suckers so it’s their natural growth.

Chojubai - they are a super dwarf variety. They have small leaves, tight internodes and even small flowers. You’ll know if you have one - just from the price (and the look).

There is a small pool of mother plants in Australia and suspect they all have mosaic virus and a tendency to die off - I imagine why people like Treeman are hybridising.

Nonetheless, very intriguing shrubs.
I notice my chojubai has yellow spots on the leaves of some branches. Google tells me this could be mosaic virus. It still seems to grow okay but the appearance of it is ruined. Is there anything I can do about it? If I grew a new plant from its seeds would that also be infected?
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Trimmy wrote: November 27th, 2023, 1:22 pm
Daluke wrote: September 19th, 2022, 3:34 pm Clump - they send suckers so it’s their natural growth.

Chojubai - they are a super dwarf variety. They have small leaves, tight internodes and even small flowers. You’ll know if you have one - just from the price (and the look).

There is a small pool of mother plants in Australia and suspect they all have mosaic virus and a tendency to die off - I imagine why people like Treeman are hybridising.

I notice my chojubai has yellow spots on the leaves of some branches. Google tells me this could be mosaic virus. It still seems to grow okay but the appearance of it is ruined. Is there anything I can do about it? If I grew a new plant from its seeds would that also be infected?
Yep it's a mosaic virus, they all have it. Some debate about whether or not it affects the health of the tree but no, nothing you can do about it.

As far as I'm aware the seed is infertile but it's only what I've heard not gospel truth.
Trimmy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Trimmy »

TimS wrote: November 27th, 2023, 1:27 pm

Yep it's a mosaic virus, they all have it. Some debate about whether or not it affects the health of the tree but no, nothing you can do about it.

As far as I'm aware the seed is infertile but it's only what I've heard not gospel truth.
That's a shame. Can it spread to other plants? It it safe to keep trying with it or should I throw it in an incinerator?
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Trimmy wrote: November 27th, 2023, 1:36 pm
TimS wrote: November 27th, 2023, 1:27 pm

That's a shame. Can it spread to other plants? It it safe to keep trying with it or should I throw it in an incinerator?
Totally safe for other plants, no need to throw it away

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”