wisteria worth the wait

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

wisteria worth the wait

Post by tgward »

was gifted about 12 yrs ago from a bloke who said he had it for 15 yrs and in that time had never flowered for him - 12 yrs later with me and also never flowered --------------------- UNTIL NOW!!! YEEHAW!!!! it will be interesting to see which colour after all this time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: wisteria worth the wait

Post by shibui »

Sounds like this one was grown from seed. Wisteria are notoriously slow to mature. 7 years is often quoted but that seems to be the minimum when grown in good conditions. Any less than ideal growing conditions adds years to the timeline.
I've grown 2 from seed.
The first one took 21 years to first flower and then another 3 years to flower again. Since then it has flowered regularly so there is hope.
The second wisteria flowered after just 7 years so I was real happy.
Good thing about seed grown wisteria is that the trunks bulk up at the base real quick.

Cuttings taken from mature wisterias that already flower regularly don't take as long. Some can flower the year after the cutting gets roots.
Cutting grown wisteria trunks take longer to thicken and do not generally thicken at ground level to the same extent as seed grown.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

Cool tree!
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

Nice snaking branches. Love the taper, I suppose that's the benefit of being grown from seed and training. I love the slow yet fast progress of those buds,,, the anticipation and then the flower burst is just fascinating

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”