Serissa Foetid

Forum for discussion of Flowering and fuiting bonsai - Azalea, Serissa, Apricot etc.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Serissa Foetid

Post by MelaQuin »

I got this in October because I like odd trees. I honestly had not known how Rampant a Serissa is and this needs heavy pruning fortnightly. It makes a privet look slow. I would just like some opinions. The rock is there because it fits nicely under the 'rump' of the trunk and the roots come out quite far to the front, making the tree appear recessed.

Just home..
Serissa F 2008-10 1.jpg
Serissa F 2008-10 2.jpg
Serissa F frt 2009-02.jpg
Serissa F Frt no rock 2009-02.jpg
Serissa F bk 2009-02.jpg
As best as you can tell... keeping in mind that the photo does not show the depth of the root extension,
Rock or no rock
Front as is or
Back as front. If the back becomes the front the low branch needs to be reduced a lot and that leaves no back branch below the top foliage.

So... what are your thoughts.
Also, while we are about it, would this be considered Informal Upright???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hector Johnson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Serissa Foetid

Post by Hector Johnson »

With or without the rock looks fine. It gives the impression that it might be root-over-rock if you leave it there, so that's no bad thing.

The front you have chosen looks fine, too. Given that is Serissa foetida it's going to remain quite small so you can get away with that bottom/back branch.

Long term I would be inclined to try to grow that bach branch taller and see if you can coax a twin trunk out of it, perhaps.

Informal upright or slanting, for now.
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

Post by Jon Chown »

Lee, for me it's without the rock, but I agree with Hector in that you should encourage the rear branch to become a 'daughter' trunk. The way this one grows it doesn't look like it would take long to achieve.

Jon
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Jon Chown wrote:Lee, for me it's without the rock, but I agree with Hector in that you should encourage the rear branch to become a 'daughter' trunk. The way this one grows it doesn't look like it would take long to achieve.

Jon
Ditto Jon and Hector. Lose the rock Lee.
Peter
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

I say whithout the rock. But if you do want the rock I would work at incorporating the rock more into a true root over rock. In any event at next repot get stuck into those roots. I think you can improve it alot by getting some ground roots from the large one on the left(with the daughter branch behind) I suggest it could be as easy as cutting that root back hard (balance others as possible) I am thinking this will enchourage surface roots in this area.
maybe it is the roots that gave you inspiration for the branches. They give cedit to the roots. I like it.

Edit: Just looking again that branch curves around to the back so just cutting back may not get what I was thinking. Maybe cut back and slice some bark of apply rooting hormone and cover with spag moss. I would also reckomend a pot set up that does not fear eriosoin for this root development.
Last edited by Bretts on February 5th, 2009, 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

Okay to all the above... nice tho the rock is [and it is!!]. But is this tree an informal upright? The apex does 'apex' but then it curves strongly to the left.... so is it Informal U or 'Other'??

Return to “Flowering and fruiting”