Air layer and trim ficus

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
paul smedley
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: nil

Air layer and trim ficus

Post by paul smedley »

Hi all.

I have several figs out the back as i have said before but have an air layering question. They have all grown well and strong in their pots from various seedlings but of course have all grown up, straight and have not really much movement as they are. I am thinking of the coming season when i can figure outwit i can save and what i will just let keep growing in their pots.

Knowing how long it takes to propagate from air layering, if I do this early spring is it going to take too long to then cut them off at the bottom and try to bud them from the chopped trunk? all of the ficus trunks have great taper that i will try to do something with later on but i don't want to lose all of the great shape they have at the to0p where they are growing well.

I hope this makes sense. I guess it is .. layer then leave to cut down in another year vs layer and chop down half way through summer.
fig chop.jpg

Please advise and ask for any clarification if i have not explained it well enough.

Ta heaps. P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Air layer and trim ficus

Post by shibui »

Figs are generally pretty quick to root so you should be able to get a layer and also chop in the same season.
Just make really sure the layer is worth the delay. So often I see people layering crap tops when they could be developing the real tree at the base straight away.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paul smedley
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: nil

Re: Air layer and trim ficus

Post by paul smedley »

shibui wrote: May 29th, 2020, 8:35 pm Figs are generally pretty quick to root so you should be able to get a layer and also chop in the same season.
Just make really sure the layer is worth the delay. So often I see people layering crap tops when they could be developing the real tree at the base straight away.
Thanks S.
Yes, i want to make sure that i can do it and get it right though i have a huge amount of ficus to play with. They are all rather big (as per some previous posts) and need chopping down so i thought well why not do both otherwise it would be such a waste. It will be good practice for me as well. I just have to remember to keep a diary of what i do so i can learn too.

Cheers P

Return to “Tropical”