Strangler fig

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Strangler fig

Post by melbrackstone »

I can see this filling up that terrarium in no time, especially since the foliage is going to grow faster and denser than the roots... but hey, it looks interesting! Instagram pic

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2cGi-UH5_I/

@botanygeek
Verified
In a world gone mad, you might as well try and defy gravity. 😉

Here is a little experiment of mine on making an indoor bonsai from scratch. To do this I took a tiny strangler fig sapling that I teased from a clump bought from a garden centre and superglued it to a chunk of pumice stone.

Housed in this *very* fancy display case from @housedoctordk , over time the trapped humidity should trigger the sapling to produce long aerial roots from its branches that will anchor into the pumice and drape down to create a hanging curtain from the ‘floating’ rock. Sort of Avatar-meets-Angkor-Wat is the goal.

I was inspired by the eruption of pumice from an underwater volcano in the Pacific a few weeks ago that was in the news. As I watched the footage I thought: ‘Those porous rocks are so light they float, so could in time create little floating islands colonised by plants. That would look incredible.’ This little installation is my attempt to capture the mental image that popped into my head at that thought.

It’s very, very, early days, but let’s see how it evolves. Hopefully it will look really established and convincing in as little as 2-3 months!
Last edited by melbrackstone on September 16th, 2019, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Re: Strangler fig

Post by Raging Bull »

How is that tree on the rock "floating" there like that?? :lost:
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan