Rot in my swamp cypress trunk

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Rot in my swamp cypress trunk

Post by Beano »

Hi, I have been neglecting my remaining swamp cypress a bit but it has leaves out quite nicely since spring started. I’ve just gone to check out the branches and wire and found quite a lot of very soft wood at the base of the trunk. I’m not sure if it’s rot or if something is boring up there but I stuck some large gauge wire up there and no insects came out. I haven’t repotted yet but I suspect the roots in this area are dead. But there are new roots coming out of the bottom of the colander. Any ideas? Should I repot and treat the area with lime sulphur? I will have to take off some bark to see how far it extends.
116926D9-3C47-4A44-A2F9-34A3720B3FDC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Re: Rot in my swamp cypress trunk

Post by Bougy Fan »

It doesn't look that bad but the photo may be deceiving. I would just dig out/dremel all of the soft wood and treat with Earls. Do you have a free draining mix ?
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Re: Rot in my swamp cypress trunk

Post by Beano »

Not entirely sure what the mix is like anymore. I think it’s part scoria, part pumice part potting mix and it’s been in a colander pot in the ground until 2 months ago then I dug it out to kill the weeds in the grow bed. It’s been sitting on top but not buried since. It had a deciduous phase this year but now has started to shoot everywhere again.

A lot of the big surface roots have died where I root pruned heavily in the past but it has lovely new white roots coming out of the bottom of the colander. It needs a proper inspection at repot this year but it’ll have to wait until I’ve had this baby!

I’ll get some wood hardener, thanks Bougy

Return to “Tropical”