Ficus newbie

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
michael13
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus
Bonsai Age: 1

Ficus newbie

Post by michael13 »

Hi all,

I was gifted a ficus root-over-rock (see below) for my birthday back in July. I’d really like to learn more about them, in particular how to build some branch structure. Does anyone have any suggestions/tips for a beginner looking forward. As seen in the pictures, at this stage I’ve just cut back the long branches in an attempt to reduce the branch length (hoping this is the correct method?)

ImagePicture taken before trim.

ImagePicture taken 4/11/19
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Ficus newbie

Post by Watto »

Hi Michael and welcome to Ausbonsai.
I don't know anything about Ficus as where I live its a bit too cold and frosty for them to live outside(where all bonsai should live).
If you could put your location in your profile that will make it a lot easier for people here to give correct advice based on your areas weather.
I hope others chime in and you enjoy the experience.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Build branch structure on ficus much the same as most other species - continued growing and pruning as you have already done. Plenty of food to make it grow then cut back as often as possible. There is no magic bullet to speed up the process. It will take time but ramification does speed up as more growing tips emerge.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
michael13
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by michael13 »

Watto wrote: November 5th, 2019, 6:42 pm Hi Michael and welcome to Ausbonsai.
I don't know anything about Ficus as where I live its a bit too cold and frosty for them to live outside(where all bonsai should live).
If you could put your location in your profile that will make it a lot easier for people here to give correct advice based on your areas weather.
I hope others chime in and you enjoy the experience.
Sorry about that. I live in Brisbane. I have my ficus outside in full sun, just took the first picture inside because it was taken at night lol
shibui wrote: November 5th, 2019, 7:21 pm Build branch structure on ficus much the same as most other species - continued growing and pruning as you have already done. Plenty of food to make it grow then cut back as often as possible. There is no magic bullet to speed up the process. It will take time but ramification does speed up as more growing tips emerge.
Is there any guide on when/how to prun?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

I'm from the cool south. We prune and repot in warmer months from Nov through to Feb but you can prune any time the tree grows - probably all year round up there.
Allow new shoots to grow 4-6 leaves then cut back to 2 or 3 depending how long the internodes are. New buds will grow from the base of leaves remaining so you should get 2 or 3 new shoots when you prune a healthy shoot.
How to prune???? Just snip through the stem with scissors above a leaf node. Doesn't really matter how close because the remaining stem above the leaf bud will just wither and die off eventually. What you have done is fine for now. You may eventually need to remove some of those shoots as they may get a bit crowded. For now they are all building the trunk and healing the large cut and you will have options to pick the ones that respond best and look good.
Do not worry about leaf size yet. That can wait until you have built some ramification and usually occurs naturally with pruning and increased numbers of branches and shoots.
Ficus love fertiliser. Plenty of fert and water will give more growth.

Local bonsai clubs will give far better hands on advice if you can get to one.
michael13
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by michael13 »

shibui wrote: November 6th, 2019, 5:13 pm I'm from the cool south. We prune and repot in warmer months from Nov through to Feb but you can prune any time the tree grows - probably all year round up there.
Allow new shoots to grow 4-6 leaves then cut back to 2 or 3 depending how long the internodes are. New buds will grow from the base of leaves remaining so you should get 2 or 3 new shoots when you prune a healthy shoot.
How to prune???? Just snip through the stem with scissors above a leaf node. Doesn't really matter how close because the remaining stem above the leaf bud will just wither and die off eventually. What you have done is fine for now. You may eventually need to remove some of those shoots as they may get a bit crowded. For now they are all building the trunk and healing the large cut and you will have options to pick the ones that respond best and look good.
Do not worry about leaf size yet. That can wait until you have built some ramification and usually occurs naturally with pruning and increased numbers of branches and shoots.
Ficus love fertiliser. Plenty of fert and water will give more growth.

Local bonsai clubs will give far better hands on advice if you can get to one.
That’s awesome information, thanks a lot.

Any suggestions on fertilisers/how often to apply?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Your plant probably can't read. None of mine can so it doesn't matter what fertiliser you give them. Use any complete (has all nutrients) fertiliser. Solid or liquid it won't matter to the plants.
One of our club members used to spread a 1cm layer of dynamic lifter on the top of ficus grow pots and got very good growth. There's lots of threads on ausbonsai that talk about using large doses to grow ficus quickly viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6717&p=87651&hilit= ... cus#p87651 but you should be able to get just as good growth from liquid fert at recommended strength applied every 2-3 weeks.
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by matlea »

Just watch where you have multiple branches at one spot.

If it were mine...for the area on the left where you have four shoots at the same spot I would keep the one on the outside and get rid of the other three.
michael13
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by michael13 »

shibui wrote: November 6th, 2019, 6:28 pm Your plant probably can't read. None of mine can so it doesn't matter what fertiliser you give them. Use any complete (has all nutrients) fertiliser. Solid or liquid it won't matter to the plants.
One of our club members used to spread a 1cm layer of dynamic lifter on the top of ficus grow pots and got very good growth. There's lots of threads on ausbonsai that talk about using large doses to grow ficus quickly viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6717&p=87651&hilit= ... cus#p87651 but you should be able to get just as good growth from liquid fert at recommended strength applied every 2-3 weeks.
Awesome thanks. That thread is very interesting!!!
matlea wrote: November 6th, 2019, 7:01 pm Just watch where you have multiple branches at one spot.

If it were mine...for the area on the left where you have four shoots at the same spot I would keep the one on the outside and get rid of the other three.
Ok thanks for the tip!

Return to “Tropical”