New Bonsai owner

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Alex_B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

New Bonsai owner

Post by Alex_B »

Hi All,

I recently got a Bonsai as a Christmas gift from my partner after wanting one for years.

I know the Bonsai is a Ficus but I'm not sure what kind of Ficus it is so I was wondering if anyone could help me identify it? Although you can't really see it in the photo, there is a pretty big scar at the top of the roots where they obvious cut a piece of it off. I was wondering if there is a way to cover it up or do I just have to deal with it? Also will the scar stop the tree from growing more upright?

Since the photo was taken I have trimmed some of the foliage off so I can try and give it some shape I have also bought some fertilizers and just gave it a feed today. I live in Melbourne and my partner got the Bonsai from the Orient Bonsai nursery in the northern suburbs.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
regwac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 18
Bonsai Club: CBS

Re: New Bonsai owner

Post by regwac »

Hi Alex , welcome to the world of Bonsai . Join your local Bonsai club ! Best advice and readily given , there are some great clubs around Melbourne .
Cheers
Graham
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Welcome Alex. I know nothing about figs except they are tough as long as you keep them away from frost.
If you can put your location in your profile that will help with advice. We know you are from Melbourne because you said in this post, but when you make other posts or comments it is necessary info in providing appropriate advice.
I couldn't see the scare you were referring too but I would think it will gradually disappear in the coming years.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sander043
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by sander043 »

Hello Alex,

That fig looks very familiar. I was gifted one about 5 years ago and identified it as Ginseng ficus, Microcarpa retusa. Mine, however, came from Aldi, not a bonsai nursery. Those plants were mass produced and known as "Mallsai". I would hope that, being from a bonsai nursery, it is not glued into the pot as mine was. If so the best thing you can do is remove it to a more appropriate and loving home. Depends what you want it to do, it certainly is not going to progress much in a pot that size. Your choice but just remember, nothing says I love you like a present that is wilting and dying :crybye:.

This is mine after, first being transferred to a 400mm pot 5 yrs. ago and more recently a 300mm.
IMG_7512.jpg

That's almost 5 years of post Mallsai growth. It is in a mixture of (Hortico) organic garden compost, 5mm river stones and euchy mulch, equal parts, on a 30mm bed of blue gravel. I'm not sure if you have any experience Alex, but if not, there are butt loads of u tube vids to help you through the re potting process.

Hope this helps buddy, but please don't limit yourself to my advice. As Graham mentioned, a bonsai club is a far more insightful way of learning if you have the time.

Good luck, Sander.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Sander has it. Ginseng ficus. These are actually grafted onto another ficus species and that may account for the scar because the top of the rootstock is cut off after the graft has started to grow. There seems to be some debate about the actual species name for ginseng ficus. One of the experts says that there the plants being sold as Ficus retusa are actually F. microcarpa. Actual species name does not matter as they are mostly treated the same.

Ficus heal up quite quickly but to help the process you should probably allow the branches to grow freely for the rest of this year. I can't see the scar so it is hard to give targeted advice. If there is a stump of dead wood you should cut it flush with the trunk so the tree can grow over the cut area easier. Sealer over the cut usually speeds the process of healing a bit. Normally we trim shoots as they grow to keep the canopy looking neat but allowing longer growth usually speeds up closure of cuts.
Regular fertiliser is great, especially for ficus as they love lots of nutrients.

The scar itself will not stop the tree growing upright but the branches that are already there will continue to grow in the current direction unless you can move them. Bonsai growers usually use wire to change the direction of branches or trunks.
Many of us go to a lot of effort to make sure the trunks on our bonsai are NOT growing straight up. Bends and twists in trunks and branches are valued because they tend to look older and can tell a story of survival through hostile conditions. Whether to have a tall, straight, proud trunk or a shorter twisted one with lots of character is something that you get to decide on.

Ficus are sensitive to frost so make sure it does not get cold in winter.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alex_B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Alex_B »

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all the advice it's super helpful.

Sander, did you find your ficus grew better in a deeper pot? I'd like to keep it in its current pot just for now but I'm open to moving it in the future if it will thrive more in a deeper pot.

Thanks for the tips on trimming the ficus shibui. I was thinking of shaping it a little bit now as there are a few nice branches that I think could make a nice layered canopy but do you think it would be wiser to just let it grow for its first year?
I think you're right about the graft as there is a pretty clear cut where the root stops and a few branches grow out from. As long as it heals over a bit I'm happy as it isn't the nicest thing to see.

I just bought some seasol and powerfeed to fertilize with and also some Charlie carp just to change it up a bit. So hopefully they get lots of nutrients from all that.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

All trees are easier to keep in a slightly larger pot. Most trees will grow a bit faster so you can get your design finished and heal scars faster when the tree is growing faster in a larger pot or in the ground. However, bonsai is not about larger pots. Bonsai is about using a pot that looks right for the tree and I think this one is currently OK.
If you want the tree to grow larger or faster then give it a larger pot and plenty of feed and it will grow well but while that's happening it is not really 'bonsai'. If you are happy with the current design and want to have a 'bonsai' then keep it as is. In bonsai therare always alternatives depending what you want.

Shaping it now is an option. Depending how thick and strong the branches are and where they are growing from it may be the best option. If you let it grow fast to help the cut heal quick the branches will also get thicker and will be more difficult to move later.
Scars are not a problem when they are hidden from normal view. We all have trees with large scars on the trunks but if they are towards the back so not usually seen they are tolerated. You need to find the most attractive view of your tree's trunk, roots and branches to see whether the cut is a visual problem. It will slowly disappear as the tree grows so if you can put up with it for a few years while the tree grows slowly and heals slowly then by all means start shaping and pruning. If you desperately want to get the scar to heal in the quickest time you'll need to allow the tree to grow a bit faster to achieve that. While doing that it won't quite be bonsai. Most bonsai people learn to think in terms of years rather than days and months because trees take time to develop. Sometimes it is worth sacrificing short term pleasure for a better tree in the longer term. The final choice is yours. There's no one right answer.
Power feed and Charlie carp are good sources of nutrients. Seasol has lower and variable nutrient levels and is marketed as a 'soil conditioner' It will supply some extra trace elements and is best used in conjunction with one of the other real fertilisers as you plan to do.

You mention that there are a few branches growing from the graft point. This is usual for these trees but you need to be aware that when several branches grow close together the trunk will usually thicken more at that point which eventually does not look good. Usually we try to only have 1 branch growing from any spot on the tree to avoid these problems. Not sure what removing extra branches will do to your tree but you should consider the possibilities and future implications.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alex_B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Alex_B »

shibui wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 5:21 pm All trees are easier to keep in a slightly larger pot. Most trees will grow a bit faster so you can get your design finished and heal scars faster when the tree is growing faster in a larger pot or in the ground. However, bonsai is not about larger pots. Bonsai is about using a pot that looks right for the tree and I think this one is currently OK.
If you want the tree to grow larger or faster then give it a larger pot and plenty of feed and it will grow well but while that's happening it is not really 'bonsai'. If you are happy with the current design and want to have a 'bonsai' then keep it as is. In bonsai therare always alternatives depending what you want.

Shaping it now is an option. Depending how thick and strong the branches are and where they are growing from it may be the best option. If you let it grow fast to help the cut heal quick the branches will also get thicker and will be more difficult to move later.
Scars are not a problem when they are hidden from normal view. We all have trees with large scars on the trunks but if they are towards the back so not usually seen they are tolerated. You need to find the most attractive view of your tree's trunk, roots and branches to see whether the cut is a visual problem. It will slowly disappear as the tree grows so if you can put up with it for a few years while the tree grows slowly and heals slowly then by all means start shaping and pruning. If you desperately want to get the scar to heal in the quickest time you'll need to allow the tree to grow a bit faster to achieve that. While doing that it won't quite be bonsai. Most bonsai people learn to think in terms of years rather than days and months because trees take time to develop. Sometimes it is worth sacrificing short term pleasure for a better tree in the longer term. The final choice is yours. There's no one right answer.
Power feed and Charlie carp are good sources of nutrients. Seasol has lower and variable nutrient levels and is marketed as a 'soil conditioner' It will supply some extra trace elements and is best used in conjunction with one of the other real fertilisers as you plan to do.

You mention that there are a few branches growing from the graft point. This is usual for these trees but you need to be aware that when several branches grow close together the trunk will usually thicken more at that point which eventually does not look good. Usually we try to only have 1 branch growing from any spot on the tree to avoid these problems. Not sure what removing extra branches will do to your tree but you should consider the possibilities and future implications.
Wow thank you so much for all the advice it's really helpful.

I'm in no rush to get the scar to heal I more just wanted to know if it will heal eventually so it's nice to know that it will in time. I'm definitely happy to favour long term pleasure to short term pleasure so I'm happy to wait and start shaping now. I think the branches are a decent size now as they are fairly flexible so I think it should be ok to to shape now.

I didn't know that the branches will thicken a lot at the point so I'll definitely keep that in mind as I'm shaping it. I think it should be ok if I take a branch off but I'm just going to let it grow a bit first before I do that.

Thank you again for the advice it's been really helpful.
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by pureheart »

regwac wrote:Hi Alex , welcome to the world of Bonsai . Join your local Bonsai club ! Best advice and readily given , there are some great clubs around Melbourne .
Cheers
Graham
I cannot agree more! Joining the club really opened my eyes…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “Tropical”