[Nate] Port Jackson Fig - Chunky

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 10

[Nate] Port Jackson Fig - Chunky

Post by Nate.bonsai »

I often hesitate to post any of my trees here, because they are all in a state of (under) development. But, I get a lot of benefit looking at other people's projects, so thought to post anyway.

This is the first 'bonsai' that I got given. It was a little finger-thick stick in a tiny pot with a few aerial roots from the Big Green Shed, bought by my mother-in-law, probably about 2010.

Even in my early days (with my other 'sticks in pots') I always had in my mind bigger, thicker trunks. So, I repotted it and let it fatten up over the years. I'd chop off its growth and make it back bud whenever the fancy took me and repot and do some root work every 2-3-5 years (or when I remembered). There was no plan, other than 'force low growth and fatten up that trunk' and 'get a good root spread'. PJFs are indestructible and forgiving, so it has endured my abuse with good grace.

Here it is at the last 2014 repot. It's about 15x thicker than when purchased. I typically let a few big branches develop and grow to about 1 metre and then chopped them indiscriminately. If I am in the mood, I throw them in some potting mix and I have heaps of cuttings from this and root cuttings - again, indestructible.
Front 2014.jpg

Here it is today.

First a pic to show how long I let the growing branches get (I chopped off a couple of others in preparation for repotting).
Front 2020.jpg

A close-up with a bit of size comparison.
Front close 2020.jpg

Front after trimming off unwanted branches, and old cut branch stubs and thick roots. I've noticed that when these get going, a few key rots will fatten up massively under the soil, becoming trees in their own right and needing a saw to get through them. So, maybe more frequent repotting would be good for the root development stage.
Front after trim 2020.jpg

And this is one image that I found myself gravitating towards as the trunk started to take shape. I'd like to go for something different rather than just another upright fig (and also because I have another one that fits that bill).
Fig Idea.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
juan73870
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: whatever is in front of me...
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: [Nate] Port Jackson Fig - Chunky

Post by juan73870 »

Wow. The size of the leaves in the second pic are huge! Shows just how amazing bonsai is when comparing those leaves to the small size of leaves on bonsai of the same species!

By the way, that trunk is seriously chunky, nice work :tu:
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ;) :whistle:
nathan987
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by nathan987 »

juan73870 wrote:Wow. The size of the leaves in the second pic are huge! Shows just how amazing bonsai is when comparing those leaves to the small size of leaves on bonsai of the same species!
Yeah, it’s crazy. If I looked at the leaf size on mine as is, you would never consider that it would ever be suitable for bonsai.

It is only because I saw the much smaller leaf size when purchased and have seen other PJF bonsai that I know that the leaf size will reduce when I need it.

I do notice that on some of the finer, less-dominant branches that the leaf size is much smaller. I think that the dominant branches that are left to run free must get all of the apical growth hormones and this must also flow through to leaf size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Nate.bonsai wrote: May 17th, 2020, 4:06 pm I often hesitate to post any of my trees here, because they are all in a state of (under) development.
HA - Nate.b ... if I took that view ... I wouldn't post anything. Hmmm... maybe that would be a good thing... less MJL spam to wade through. :palm:

Excellent progress and love that it is your first bonsai and still progressing. :yes:
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Homer911 »

Not that it matters much coming from.me, but it looks like you are doing a great jot Nate. Keep it up and we would love to see more of your posts....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Return to “Tropical”