What's wrong with my ficus?

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Harshadg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus atlantica
Bonsai Age: 2

What's wrong with my ficus?

Post by Harshadg »

Hi All,

I recently acquired this tiger bark (?) ficus for its trunk. Since I've had it (few weeks now), its leaves have become yellower. I believe the tree was quite dry when I got it. I've been watering it with the same regimen (~2-3 days) that I've used so far for my port jackson figs (which are doing okay). The other may be greater sun exposure in my yard compared to its previous spot.

My (perhaps optimistic?) plan is to get the tree healthy now/over winter so that I can trunk chop in spring. I'd appreciate any insight on what might be causing the yellowing and what I can do to minimize further deterioration.
Photo May 10, 1 49 29 PM copy.jpg
Please find additional images at https://imgur.com/gallery/d4p8kcx due to size restrictions.

Cheers,
Harshad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: What's wrong with my ficus?

Post by shibui »

What is the soil like on this new one? Watering regime is closely tied to the soil so if this one is in a different type of mix it will require different watering. Best to check the soil each time rather than just watering to a pre scheduled calendar.
Pests can cause yellow leaves. Check for scale insects that are common on ficus.
Fertiliser. You've only just received this one so you have no idea of its fert history. Fert needs are also tied up with soil structure so can be different with different mixes. Feed with liquid regularly and see if that improves things.
Changes in light also cause leaf changes. It will be hard to tell what previous conditions were so hard to replicate. Good news is that ficus are usually quite tough and any new leaves will be adapted to your current conditions. I would just let it go through and adaptation in the spot you intend to keep it.

Sorry I can't be more specific. The symptoms do not appear to be obviously tied to one thing or another but do not appear to be life threatening.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sander043
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus

Post by sander043 »

Hi Harshad,

Nice looking Banyan you have there. Should make a beautiful piece in the years to come.

With regards to the yellowing, it's annoying but I wouldn't be too fussed. Shibui has covered all the bases and I would heed his advise. I might add that it looks as though it might be a little tight in its pot. It's starting to get a bit cool now so I would simply monitor it until at least mid spring when it's warmer then whack, root prune and repot. Then, sit back and watch it go nuts the next few months.

Good luck with it buddy, it should be a beauty.

Sander.
ketutg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society

Post by ketutg »

I find some of my tiger bark leaves go a bit yellow when it gets colder. It mainly happens to old leaves though. Come Spring they push out new green growth.
Harshadg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Harshadg »

Should I still continue fertilising with Amgrow Nitrosol for the next few weeks? I also have miracle grow, slow-release osmocote, cow manure at hand... I'm still trying to figure out what kind of fertiliser to use when. I'm thinking nitrosol every two weeks for a month and then stop until spring?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Soluble fert is available to the plant almost immediately but also disappears quickly so needs to be applied regularly.
Controlled and slow release takes time to get started but then continues over a long time so does not need to be put on very often.
Organics like cow manure tend to have less and unpredictable amounts of nutrients and also take a while to break down and release nutrients. The residue from organics has potential to fill the spaces in your potting mix and cause longer term drainage problems.

Nitrosol and Miracle grow are both liquid feed so will be available straight away. If the problem is starvation that's the best way to address it. Figs are evergreen and need to be kept warm over winter so they should have access to some nutrients all winter. I feed mine every month all through winter then step up frequency when they begin to grow in spring.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by robb63 »

I think your fig needs more water.
In your area I would be watering every other day unless its in a deep nursery pot with fine soil that hold moisture.
Stick your finger into the soil near the roots after watering to see its damp.
Sometimes most of the water just escapes down the side of the pot leaving most roots still dry.
If watering every 2-3days try water well then come back 15minutes later and water again to soak the soil.
If its a course soil[well draining] you can water every day if it dries out in-between watering.
By gently lifting the fig out of its pot a hour after watering you'll see if the rootball is dry and can adjust your watering.
Don't apply fertilizer until leaves look healthy[ shiny green with no drooping at all]
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Why not resize images so they can upload? you can have images up to 1024 adn still be under file size limits. some people do not have hi bandwidth links

re watering, I water all my trees daily. well draining substrate are godsend to Ficus
I use Neutrog sudden impact pellets on the surface so get fert everytime i water

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

fully immerse in half strength soluble fert until bubbles stop(save solution for next time)-place in a shallow tray, allow to drain in a warm sunny spot ---this time of year maybe repeat once a week depending
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Pretty much what they all said.

I have a couple of my figs start to show yellowing and drooping leaves. It starts on the older leaves as is happening with yours. This is the tree removing resources from the older leaves and is probably due to not enough fertiliser being applied through the last growing season. Liquid feed will help, but it unlikely those leaves will regain colour again. They will probably fall off in the next few weeks or so. Do not worry. Your fig will survive. It probably won't put on too much growth through winter, but if you feed with liquid Fert, then come spring it will be ready to power away. Around October you can do a big cut back, repot and it will take off.

As suggested the soil might be dry and water not penetrating into the soil mass so it may need a good soaking.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Harshadg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Harshadg »

Thank you all for the advice. We've had a fair bit of rain last week including a thunderstorm last night, so I think that should have helped with soaking now. I'll apply liq fert with the next watering and take it from there.

Thanks all.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

It's not always safe to assume rain has soaked a pot. I've had plants die after 2 sunny days following rain as I didn't water thinking everything would have been wet. Once potting mix has fully dried out it can become water repellant and any watering just runs down the sides and doesn't penetrate to the middle of the mix. Easiest way to tell is lift the pot. With a pot that size it should be fairly heavy if soaked right through. If it feels light the potting mix is probably dry.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Harshadg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Harshadg »

I figured I should post an update.

I chopped the top and repotted it in 100% akadama. Pruned and washed the roots in the process. Planted it in the biggest pot I had - the root ball is about as deep as this pot.

That was a month ago. It’s back budded wonderfully. My plan is to let it grow out for the rest of this season with minor pruning to take off branches growing inwards etc.

Critical comments and suggestions welcome. Cheers, H.
Harshadg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Harshadg »

Oops here’s the pic. Image

Return to “Tropical”