Ficus Front Choice

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
noddy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society

Ficus Front Choice

Post by noddy »

Here's a new ficus I've been fattening up for a few years but I can't decide on a front. One choice shows a bit of flare at the base and good trunk line but exposes the big chop at the top. The other I feel is perhaps not quite as good but still appealing, but allows me to hide the chop at the back. Thoughts?
Option 1.jpg
Option 2.jpg

Thanks. Don
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Re: Ficus Front Choice

Post by Bougy Fan »

Hi Don and welcome. Looks like a Natal fig to me. I think the bigger question is are you happy with the trunk which is fairly straight and taperless. I know you say you have been working on it for a few years but to my eye it needs a chop fairly low and start growing a new trunk with some movement and taper. :2c:
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Hi Noddy,
Definitely option 1 for me, but I also agree with Bougy above - you might want to think about reducing the main trunk a bit more.
Option 1.jpg
Probably got some time to think about it - I wouldn't be trunk chopping a fig right now ... and even if you choose not to chop at all I think Option 1 is your better view out of the two pics.

Welcome to the forum!
:beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by robb63 »

Hi Noddy
You already have a big scar at the top to heal that will take years to fully roll over.
I suggest chop down to one of 2 lowest shoots and grow from there
It will take a few more years but the end product will be heaps better.
The transition [taper] from fat to thin is important and so is left or right movement.
After spending a few years growing, watering, fertilizing etc. you may not be keen to chop off most of it.
Unfortunately that's what you need to do to get the taper and movement that figs need to look good.
Having said that, it is still about what you envisage for the tree and your happy with.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I suspect the reason you are having trouble deciding which view to use is that there's not much difference between the 2. I agree with your initial assessment and the reasons.
I have come to the conclusion that when faced by this sort of dilemma it really does not matter which option because either will give an equally good result. Each choice may give a different result but both will be equally good.
That means I should stop procrastinating and get on with it. Still can't make the decision? Toss a coin and go with which ever alternative comes up. The tree cannot move forward until the decision is made so best just to get on and do it.

In this case I tend to agree with the previous advice.
It is a bit demoralising to be faced with starting again after years of development. You can go with one of your current choices. Ficus continue to thicken, even in small pots, so the trunk will continue to thicken and will probably even get more taper.
Have you considered how tall the tree will be? That may dictate how much taper the trunk should have. You can probably get away with the current trunk if the tree will be somewhat taller but if it is intended to be around current height the current taper will be very noticeable. Another couple of years to develop better taper will probably give an even better tree.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
noddy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society

Post by noddy »

Thanks for the feedback.
Looking into the tree now I see the need to chop it. I was somewhat expecting to hide the lack of taper with branches and foliage. But after the comments here and spending some time with another of my figs I realise the folly of that idea.
I'll let it sleep through the winter. But then it's coming down. Hard
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

noddy wrote: June 9th, 2020, 5:57 am I'll let it sleep through the winter. But then it's coming down. Hard
Is it sleeping yet? 2 degrees the other morning and my PJ is still pushing out new growth!

Return to “Tropical”