First time prune and fusing ever

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Alpinebonsai44
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: None

First time prune and fusing ever

Post by Alpinebonsai44 »

I just pruned first time ever! And am hoping I didn’t take off too much. I am also worried about the watering as well And how often roughly (I know it’s to how dry the soil is) but I am looking to get a general idea of how often most people water their ginseng ficus.

i bought my ginseng ficus on a 6 in pot and repotted in to the blue bonsai pot. It’s in Tinyroots tropical blend soil. In a south facing window on a humidity try with a humidifier on near it as well. I most it atleast a couple times a day as well. Not sure if that’s too much or not. I live in the high Rockies in Colorado and it’s a desert climate so it is very dry. I been watering everyday bc seemingly it’s dry. but idk if that’s just how the soil is. Has anyone else used a the Tinyroots tropical blend before? or sifted soil like this?
Also I am trying to fuse together some limbs to make a branch and I’m not sure if I went about it right but I wrapped the three limbs together with plastic wrap snuggly. will this set? The wrap is clear. If put foil over it would that help it? Can I pull the limbs down and put the tips in the ground to form more external roots?

here are some photos of my ficus. it’s only been 4 or 5 days since I have had it and repotted it. but I got the before the prune and after and some in between stuff but that’s mostly just small clippings for shape......like I know how to shape my bonsai lol. But any and all tips are appriciated. sorry for the long post!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Re: First time prune and fusing ever

Post by Bougy Fan »

Hi and welcome. This is a tree so it has to live outside. It will survive inside but won't really thrive. By all means bring it inside if there is frost or snow. Good luck !
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Alpinebonsai44
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Alpinebonsai44 »

I got this as a indoor plant. The focus does well indoors from what I have read. And it’s in a south facing window so it gets light most of the day. Plus where I live it gets pretty cool out at night below 50 still mid summer some nights but most nights are below 60
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Firstly welcome, you can grow Ficus inside. Its about the only bonsai you can get away with growing indoors. As long as the light and watering are managed. Not sure what your temps are like summer/ winter so difficult to advise how often to water. Basically it is easier with indoor plants to water really well once a week. Allow it to sit in the sink to drain and then don’t water again until following week. So set a day to water and stick to it. If you find the soil is still very wet at the end of each week then water every fortnight. Don’t confuss misting with watering. You can mist to create humidity as many times a day that you like. But you must water and allow water to run freely from the bottom of your pot, thats why I suggest you drain it on the sink. Sorry I’m not familiar with the soil mix you are using so can’t comment on it.
During the warmer months when watering your ficus add some liquid feed to your watering. You can also fertilise with the little bead type fertiliser like osmocote not sure if you have that but anything similar will do. The branches you have wrapped should fuse. Also one thing I did notice your branches are very long. Usually for bonsai we cut to first or second leaf stem for ramification suggest you read up on that. One thing to note as you have just purchased this plant ficus can sulk when being moved from one position to another and may drop all its leaves. If it does this don’t panic it will recover but don’t over water during this time as a tree with out leaves doesn’t draw up water. Forgot to add don’t forget to turn your plant around otherwise ut will be lopsided growing towards the light.
Hope this helps. Good luck with your little tree.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
Alpinebonsai44
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Alpinebonsai44 »

Thank you for the reply. I wanted to leave the branches long for now bc I’m thinking about fusing more of them to make thicker branches faster. Was also wondering if I put a cut branch in to the soil of it would root and add to the above ground roots
Alpinebonsai44
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Alpinebonsai44 »

Do think it’s worth fusing right now or should from what my understanding or ramification and forming branches I keep cutting back to the second node on all branches where I want more to form. There fore when more branches form in the same area it will for a larger branch in the long run. If I prune on branch 2 will form. So there for if I cut 2 branches the 4 that will form. And this goes in to the branches them selves in order to produce more foliage on the actual branches them selves. Is that pretty much the gist of it?
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

Pretty much. Ramifications works two by two or one by two. As you cut a branch two form and you continue. By creating more branches, more leaves the original branch thickens. Not sure what you mean with regards adding roots? If you take a cutting of one of your branches it should develop roots best done in the warmer growing months for better success rate.
Cheers
Kirky
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Hi. I don't know anything about figs but just wanted to say welcome.
I hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alpinebonsai44
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Alpinebonsai44 »

Also that was kind of my theory on it. Should I wire the whole tree? I feel like my wire might be a little big for the size of the tree I have a 2.0. Maybe a 1 at this point would be better. I’m just worried about covering up the trunknwith yo much wire. But also those longer branches with no real leaves on them anymore is it ok to cut those back to the second node still? Or should I wait for the to foliate again before trying to get some ramification on those?
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

Again not sure what your temps are and especially as you are growing this inside. Generally Ficus are worked during the warmer months when outside. Night temps around 20 degr celsius here anything below tends to slow down growth also because being grown inside will already slow down growth unless you can create a tropical temp. If you are planning on cutting back to two buds you will have nothing to wire. You can just grow this as a clip and grow without wiring. No point waiting for leaves if you are only going to cut back to two nodes imo. Its a waste of energy on the tree to allow it to grow only to remove that growth. You could cut half the branches wait for them to bud and then cut back the remaining half to hedge your bet. Note while you are waiting for the leaves to come out the tree will not be drawing as much water so watch your watering don’t leave your soil too soggy or it will rot in the pot.
Cheers
Kirky
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Note that the OP is in Colorado so it is currently mid summer for this tree.
Not sure how hot it gets at 8150 feet above sea level but Colorado is quite dry, almost desert.

I agree that water use is less after pruning so monitor more before watering.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

The issue of temp is the tree is growing inside, so temp is unknown.
Cheers
Kirky
Alpinebonsai44
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Alpinebonsai44 »

We keep the house at 72 it’s in a south facing window with a humidifier and a humidity tray. So maybe a little higher being in that window with direct sunlight. It doesnt really get above 85 to often. It’s a very dry climate, considered a desert climate. I also spray it several times a day. It’s seems to be pretty healthy.

Return to “Tropical”