too late to layer?

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
paul smedley
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: nil

too late to layer?

Post by paul smedley »

Hi Ficus gurus.
I have a couple of ficus that are ready to have themselves dealt with. There are several that have been neglected though they do have great tapering, albeit skinny, at their bases. They are growing form just above the taper so i am prepared to chop them down but seems a waste too not use the whole plant. Is it too late to air layer them? Previously i have asked if they can be and the answer has been yes but it has been a while since i asked and thought i need to get a move on to actually do it ... or just chop them off and have done with it. I am assuming that if i do them now they will root up nicely so the rest of the chopping can be done when it is still summer and they can start to redirect their ow twigs into something resembling a new leader.
Phew, hope all that makes sense. I don't think need pics but am willing to put some in if needed.

Cheers P
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: too late to layer?

Post by shibui »

Should be a great time to start layers on ficus. They are sub tropical so start to get active in warmer weather.
It is possible to start a layer at any time of year but if the tree is not active or growing very little happens until growing season starts so if you layer a maple in mid winter roots won't start to form until it is growing in spring. If you layer the same tree in spring roots will start forming quite quickly and both would probably be ready to harvest around the same time.
Might be worth waiting a few more weeks until the weather warms up a bit more in Melbourne. Use the time to gather materials, review techniques and plan your layer sites.
Ficus should produce roots in a month or so in warmer weather.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paul smedley
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: nil

Re: too late to layer?

Post by paul smedley »

shibui wrote: September 14th, 2020, 8:32 pm Should be a great time to start layers on ficus. They are sub tropical so start to get active in warmer weather.
It is possible to start a layer at any time of year but if the tree is not active or growing very little happens until growing season starts so if you layer a maple in mid winter roots won't start to form until it is growing in spring. If you layer the same tree in spring roots will start forming quite quickly and both would probably be ready to harvest around the same time.
Might be worth waiting a few more weeks until the weather warms up a bit more in Melbourne. Use the time to gather materials, review techniques and plan your layer sites.
Ficus should produce roots in a month or so in warmer weather.
And this is why you are all awesome.Thanks Neil for the direction and advice, i will hit the books and wait for potting mix to arrive. Hopefully Bunnings will have some soon!

Cheers P

Return to “Tropical”