Ficus salicaria

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus
Bonsai Age: 3

Ficus salicaria

Post by Starfox »

Hey all,

I just picked up this little willow leaf fig and thought I'd share. They are not all that easy to come across in the EU so when I saw some looking for other things I figured I'd grab this as well.
It's probably a bit late to repot it now here so I'll wait for next year but it could do with some wire and a trim which I'll do soon plus it should give me some cuttings which would be nice. It's also got a bit of a messy root mass so I'll check that out when I repot later see what if anything I can do with it.
I'll probably have to bring this in overnights too through winter which will be a hassle but think worth the trouble.
Still I'm quite happy that I got one as I didn't really think I'd find one, now if I can get a Port Jackson or Moreton Bay fig I'll be set.
IMG_96748d.jpg
IMG_9675td.jpg
IMG_9676ts.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Per PF
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Casuarina
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Swedish Bonsai Association

Re: Ficus salicaria

Post by Per PF »

I'd be happy with that! :)
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Starfox »

Cheers Per!

Here it is after a trim and wire. Can probably be more selective next year when it warms up.
IMG_9678df.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Once you have a Willow leaf fig you will be able to get many more from cuttings. I'd put that one into a larger container and keep it as a stock plant, for both root cuttings and branch cuttings. They are prolific given lots of food and water, and once you have cuttings you can encourage fast growing
interesting shaped trunks and branches and neat roots.
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Starfox »

melbrackstone wrote: November 13th, 2020, 10:13 am Once you have a Willow leaf fig you will be able to get many more from cuttings. I'd put that one into a larger container and keep it as a stock plant, for both root cuttings and branch cuttings. They are prolific given lots of food and water, and once you have cuttings you can encourage fast growing
interesting shaped trunks and branches and neat roots.
I took a bunch of cuttings already, may not be the best time of year for them but I can put a heat mat under them at least. I definitely want to make the most of it and if I can get more to play with then that would be great. Like you say It´d be nice to have control over some from the start and have some interesting movement and all.
I just hope it gets through winter first as I´ve read they are a bit more touchy than other ficus.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I have to admit I haven't found them to be touchy at all in my climate... and it's not that much different to your Winter temps here, only we have wetter Summers than Winters here. Anyway, the heat pads should get them producing roots in no time. :)
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

We had a colder than average winter this year but I managed to keep a couple of small rooted cuttings going under the verandah where they got some sun but were protected from frost. They actually started growing before any of my other ficus. Good luck.
tgooboon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Black Pine & Ficus
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by tgooboon »

Hi Starfox,

I like how it looks after wiring. Give some consideration to what shape you want, ficus don't tend to grow as upright in nature, most tend to Branch out wide. Either way it looks good now so you may not want to cut down for a wider style, which would set you back a couple years

Im not a big fan of the root that is circling, you may be able to be cut off next summer and keep it as a good size root cutting, with some nice trunck movement.

I just got my first Willow leaf. I have a quite few port Jackson ficus. I think the willow leaf will make for great Bonasi with natural small leaf and the thick nebari tendency.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Return to “Tropical”