Sno’s fig

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Sno’s fig

Post by Sno »

I call this tree ‘my madness’ . It’s not my biggest tree but it is my heaviest . I acquired the trunk 7 or so years ago from a member here who hasn’t been here for a long time . From what I can gather it’s 5 or more trees fused together , at the time I was told it was about 10 years old .
It doesn’t like my climate and has been frosted quite a few times over the years , when I forget to bring it under cover on those frosty nights which happen in spring ,early summer , late summer and autumn . It lives inside for 6 months of the year , it doesn’t really like it and by early November it wants some proper sunshine . Until Christmas it lives in a wheel barrow to make moving it around a bit easier . I am hoping that once I get time to put up a greenhouse it will be a bit easier .
When I first got it , it was a trunk with lots of shoots over it . Basically all I’ve done since I have had it is select the shoots I wanted to keep and grow then cut for taper . I am going to start on some proper ramification now . Today I defoliated it and will repot it tomorrow in the same pot . I am going to look for a shallower pot for next time .
7104EE50-3047-46A0-914F-2432FDA36C36.jpeg
B4C94E73-CF6C-49A1-BD03-28C0645FFB0B.jpeg
41C2DC77-CC68-4096-AB44-281218A0900C.jpeg
08E4B954-1B75-4A01-8A24-89DCC12F52D8.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Re: Sno’s fig

Post by greg27 »

Nice fig Sno, and I love the giraffe peering over the top of it.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Cool tree Craig ,now all you need is a old deserted Buddhist Temple to get that nice Asia feel. Cheers John.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

All bonsai people are mad!
Here is probably our "coldest climate" bonsai artist growing tropical plant. I admire your commitment to this but is the effort worth it? My admiration is huge but that is too much for me.
Your effort is being rewarded however, the tree looks is good nick.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

greg27 wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 5:24 pm Nice fig Sno, and I love the giraffe peering over the top of it.
Thanks Greg . The giraffe is my partners ,she has quite an eclectic collection of stuff .

boom64 wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 8:22 pm Cool tree Craig ,now all you need is a old deserted Buddhist Temple to get that nice Asia feel. Cheers John.
Thanks John . I have an Aztec statue which my parents got when they lived in Mexico in the 60 s which I was thinking of trying to grow an aerial root over .
260E2800-4B26-4D2C-BA4E-530D72F1A223.jpeg
Watto wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 5:37 am All bonsai people are mad!
Here is probably our "coldest climate" bonsai artist growing tropical plant. I admire your commitment to this but is the effort worth it? My admiration is huge but that is too much for me.
Your effort is being rewarded however, the tree looks is good nick.
Hi Watto I don’t know what is madder trying to grow a fig in alpine country or putting trees into tiny pots and trying to look after them during a heat wave . With todays heat the other tree in the photo was harder to look after .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tropical”