Moreton Bay Fig styling advice

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
BonsaiPancake
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Moreton Bay Fig styling advice

Post by BonsaiPancake »

I've been staring at this guy for almost a year and I'm just not sure where to take it. The bulbous trunk doesn't really help it looks 'natural' and I've had many failed attempts to generate more aerial roots.

The fact that the two major branches are at the same level isn't ideal either but I can't envision cutting one off.

Initially I decided to go for fuller foliage creating a nice triangle shape, but I don't think the trunk is nice enough to hide all of the branching structure.

My other thought was creating 3 main pads (top, left, right) and creating space between each.

Any thoughts or ideas (no matter how wild!) would be much appreciated. Happy to take more photos if that would help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harshadg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus atlantica
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Moreton Bay Fig styling advice

Post by Harshadg »

Honestly if this were mine, I would chop it all the way back to the trunk and start branch development again. The horizontal branches don't work, the aerial roots are too straight and too thick. If you chop off all the big branches and the aerial roots, you'd be left with a thick trunk which has some movement. Starting again will also allow you to start ramification closer to the trunk and control how thick the branches get in proportion to the trunk. Maybe make it a smaller tree?

I have no experience with moreton bay figs but if they are anything like PJFs they should bud back profusely and grow rapidly as the weather warms up.

Just my 2c.

Cheers,
Harshad
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Harshadg beat me to it but we address similar concerns.
I think your issue is with the proportions. I think the height vs the width is fine and reminiscent of figs. However, you need a much thicker trunk for those thick branches to look in proportion, particularly where they emerge from the trunk. Similarly, the continuation of the trunk above those branches is thinner than the branches and looks out of place. If you want to keep the basic silhouette you have, you can let a low shoot on the back of that upper trunk grow freely as a sacrifice branch to thicken that section and the lower trunk. I'm not a fan of the straight aerial roots but that is only my opinion.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I really think you need to reconsider the 2 big thick branches. Just because they are big and have been there for a while does not make them good bonsai.
I'd definitely remove the one on the inside of the bend - left side in first photo. To reduce the pain it already has an aerial root so plant it as a separate tree. Even without the root it will probably strike as a cutting.

The other straight root also needs to go, or get lots more going to bulk up the trunk.
If you remove that root try looking at tilting the whole tree to the left and making the current branch the main trunk and the current shorter trunk becomes a left branch. Not sure how all that would go with the roots and bends in the branch are harder to feel in a photo but I feel that the angles would be much better than the current arrangement.

I realize it is much easier for me to suggest such changes from a distance and without actually seeing the tree. You need to carefully assess any ideas and be comfortable before taking any action.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BonsaiPancake
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive

Post by BonsaiPancake »

Thanks all. These are some great suggestions and plenty to think about.

I think I've always been hesitant to do anything big to it since it was one of my first 'major' purchases and it was even one of the featured trees at Ray Nesci's (on the pathway just past the shop entrance). In all likelihood it was just left to grow and probably looked a lot better 5 years ago!

It's all part of the experience and I've definitely learned what to look out for when choosing a tree.

I'll make sure to post some pics once I take the plunge (whatever that may be!)

Return to “Tropical”