what to do with gifted 30 year old ficus?

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
Pat3222
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Victorian Native Bonsai Club

what to do with gifted 30 year old ficus?

Post by Pat3222 »

Arvo, so this old ficus benjamina has just landed with me. I'm told it's been in a pot at least 30 years. The trunk is 10cm wide and the root flare 30cm. Any suggestions for what to do with it? Baobab style or a fantasy Faraway tree for my daughter were my first ideas.. It was free and not going to make a traditional bonsai so open to anything. Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: what to do with gifted 30 year old ficus?

Post by zen »

Hey Pat, this is just my own opinion that you don't need to follow. But if it were my tree, I would consider airlaying the trunk about 10 to 15cm below where the branches broom out. I would also take cuttings as well for future side grafts or thread grafts. I think that is a ficus benjamina which I have never worked on before. Perhaps someone with experience can chime in.
Pat3222
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Re: what to do with gifted 30 year old ficus?

Post by Pat3222 »

G'day Zen, thanks for your suggestions. I fear a bit beyond my current skill level though, I just wired my first tree in August 2021.
If anyone else has any ideas I would appreciate it. Aware it's hard to offer styling advice from 4 pics, more looking for inspiration than anything else.
Cheers

Return to “Tropical”