Drastic ficus trunk chop

Forum for discussion of Tropical bonsai – Ficus, Bougainvillea, Fukien Tea, Dwarf Umbrella etc.
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Drastic ficus trunk chop

Post by benbonsai »

Also did something similar around 5 years ago

See my thread

https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/vie ... 33&t=23217
Slow and steady wins the race
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Drastic ficus trunk chop

Post by shibui »

I live in Southern Sydney and considering doing a major trunk chop to my ficus "Retusa" -Tiger Bark fig. For best results with "Retusa" does the same apply as previously discussed in this post.
Would late Spring or early Summer be my safest time for the chop & best bet for back budding & new shoots. Also how long would it take for new buds to show.
When I chop to desired height should I seal with cut paste or leave it open?
Lastly, what is the best method for removing moss so that I don't damage the bark, it's growing all around the base base of nebari and about a 10cm up covering one side of the trunk....hoping there's a trick or two to have it never return.
Warmer weather prune seems to give a better response, certainly quicker.
How long depends on a whole lot of factors but you should usually see tiny buds a few weeks after a chop. Sometimes up to 4 weeks for weaker trees and cooler weather.
I don't bother to seal the initial cut. After the new shoots are growing strong and you've decided which is the new leader you'll probably recut at an angle just above the new leader. That's the time to use sealer as it seems to help the wounds heal a bit faster.

I use vinegar spray to kill moss on the trunks and soil. Mix 50/50 vinegar water and spray onto any moss you want to kill. Any cheap vinegar will do. Moss turns brown in just a couple of days. It will only kill moss by direct contact so spray all round the trunk if you want good kill. A little on leaves of the trees does not seem to hurt but last spring I sprayed all over a tray of pine seedlings which did make them sick for a few weeks.
Vinegar is a temporary fix so I need to retreat 2-3 times a year. I don't know of any permanent solution to moss.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Tropical”